Post Number: BSP 966
Parent Sector: Bureau of Strategic Planning (BSP)
Duty Station: Paris, France
Duration of contract: 2 years
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 02-MAY-2022 (EXTENDED)
Under the general guidance of the Director of UNESCO’s Bureau for Strategic Planning, and the direct supervision of the Director of the Partnership Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall coordination, planning, development, and management of a resource mobilization strategy directed at the private sector, the European Union, Multilateral Development Banks and other UN organizations to raise funds, develop partnerships and support accountability of transparent contribution management, including the outreach to new donors and the leveraging of innovative funding mechanisms. The incumbent will be responsible for the analysis and management of the fundraising channels and activities, ensuring long-term, flexible and unrestricted resources for the Organization.
The Chief of Section for Donor Outreach and Resource Mobilization shall perform the following tasks:
As Chief of the section for Donor Outreach and Resource Mobilization:
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and implementation for UNESCO’s engagement and outreach to the private sector, the European Union (EU) , Multilateral Development Banks, and UN organisations in order to generate increased funding for UNESCO’s programme and budget, effectively linking donor interests with the organization’s Strategic and Programmatic priorities, and develop, implement and monitor a clear strategy, policy and systems for delivery of partnerships with private sector globally, including corporate, foundation and high net worth donors as well as the development of a UNESCO strategy on individual giving, crowd funding and digital funding;
- Manage and develop funding relationships with existing and potential international donors including the EU in close cooperation with UNESCO’s Liaison Office to the EU in Brussels, Multilateral Development Banks and UN Organizations, and ensure coordinated advocacy and outreach to private sector including foundations, across the Organization, working closely with UNESCO’s senior management to mobilize key strategic partnerships to enhance impact and influence for UNESCO priorities and to generate new resource flows, and convene and participate in UNESCO negotiation meetings with contributors, development partners and regional agencies as appropriate, and other bilateral, regional and international meetings relevant to resource mobilization for national and regional development programmes consistent with UNESCO’s mandate and thematic areas of interest;
- Oversee the preparation of and follow up on implementation of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) and other framework agreements with potential donors and partners as a basis for mobilization of resources for design and implementation of new and ongoing UNESCO-led programmes and projects;
- Lead and motivate a team of Resource Mobilization Officers, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance, providing capacity building to concerned staff.
Support to Sectors, relevant UNESCO Institutes and Field offices:
- Provide technical support and advice on grant proposal development to Sectors, relevant UNESCO Institutes and Field offices;
- Assist the Sectors, relevant UNESCO Institutes and Field offices in the preparation of project proposals for corporate and multilateral funding agencies;
- Deliver training and capacity on fund raising and communications skills and strategy;
- Work closely with programmes, field, and other staff to provide seamless service and information to donors and prospects.
Communications and Outreach:
- Plan and produce communication materials in support of fundraising such as brochures, appeals, newsletters and annual reports;
- Work closely with various UNESCO Programme Coordinators to identify priority themes and develop advocacy messages, press briefings, news features, case studies and other communication materials for dissemination through various media;
- Develop all media, publicity, marketing and fundraising messages and the communication material around them;
- Help organize Structured Financing Dialogue events, press conferences, and briefing sessions, as needed.
Advanced University degree in International Relations, Marketing, Business Development, Economics, Management or in other fields of competence of UNESCO.
A minimum of 10 years of experience in the area of multilateral and private sector partnerships in an international environment.
Demonstrated leadership in resource mobilization within a UN agency or another international organization, international private or philanthropy foundation.
Demonstrated experience in leading and motivating teams, and formulating and implementing a long-term vision and strategic perspective.
Proven track record in fundraising and resource mobilization in having raised significant donations and managed a major fundraising programme from multilateral partners and/or private sector and/or foundations.
Skills & Competencies
Ability to effectively manage relationships, at senior level, with private sector, corporate institutions and multilateral partners.
Strong analytical, negotiating, networking and advocacy skills.
Creativity and capacity to innovate.
Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Excellent drafting skills.
Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Excellent leadership skills, and skills in the management of performance and resources.
Solid knowledge of relevant technological solutions and systems, including the use of web-based solutions.
Excellent knowledge of English or French, and good knowledge of the other language.
Skills & Competencies
Knowledge of UNESCO’s areas of competence and relevant partners and donors.
Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply button.