Consultant Scope of Work– Congressional Staff Fellowship Resear
Founded in 1984, InterAction is the largest U.S.-based alliance of international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and partners. We mobilize our Members to think and act collectively to serve the world’s poor and vulnerable, with a shared belief that we can make the world a more peaceful, just and prosperous place – together. Using our collective voice and convening power, we seek to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change.
Our Members are premier international global development, humanitarian, and sector-supporting organizations that work in almost every country and manage more than $15.4 billion in programs annually. InterAction’s revenues come from dues, government, private foundation and corporate grants, and fee-for-service programs. Additional information can be found at www.interaction.org.
This project seeks to understand the landscape, models, and requirements for fellowships for Congressional staff. InterAction advocates to the U.S. government to elevate and strengthen foreign assistance policy and programming. International development and humanitarian response programs have long-standing bipartisan support in Congress, but there are not many opportunities for Congressional staff to dive deeply into these topics. Short Congressional terms and frequent staff movement require consistent engagement to foster understanding on how USG-funded programs work and how they support U.S. interests. Congressional staff can participate in short-term fellowships and educational programs on a range of topics, but to our awareness, none specifically address international development and humanitarian response.
InterAction seeks a short-term consultant to conduct desk research and landscape analysis to better understand the viability of a fellowship/seminar for Congressional staff that would focus on international development and humanitarian action issues. Work will entail both desk research as well as interviews. This work will be done in coordination with InterAction’s Policy Team within the Global Development, Policy and Learning division.
• Landscape analysis report of existing Congressional staff educational programs focused on foreign policy issues. Analysis to include hosting organizations, areas of focus, target audience, numbers of fellows per year, benefits to fellows, fellow application and selection process, programmatic structure, operational modalities, financial supports, and location of the programs.
• Report outlining the process and logistics required by House and Senate Rules and Ethics Committees to host Congressional staff education programs.
• Findings/recommendation on landscape and opportunities.
• Oral presentation
Qualifications and Skills
• Knowledge of Congressional structure and the legislative process.
• Familiarity with Congressional ethics process.
• Acute attention to detail, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience working with international non-governmental organizations.
• Strong report writing skills.
Expected Start Date and Length of Project
Start date is flexible; work to be concluded by August 31, 2023
A detailed cost proposal with the number of days and daily rate is requested with the candidate’s application. Exact number of days contracted will be based on local context, consultant’s profile, and availability.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by U.S. law.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position.
Work may be done remotely.
InterAction does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of InterAction and InterAction will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Please use the apply button to submit the following:
• A company profile or individual resume with contact details, background and description of relevant experience,
• A proposal including methodology and workplan to achieve the deliverables, and a detailed cost proposal with the number of days and daily rate.
• Recent sample of relevant report or analysis
Position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received but must be submitted by June 23, 2023.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for this position.
Due to the volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted. Please - no phone calls.