The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future . Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities . At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Department Manager’s (DM) primary responsibility is to provide high quality, core administrative support to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) in continuing to build a well-functioning, efficient and results-oriented department. The DM’s duties will include shared department activities and s/he will provide project and activity support to senior colleagues in all HR units, including: Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, Global Compensation & Benefits, and the HR Partner team. The position is responsible for managing a range of administrative and logistical support services including budgeting and tracking departmental expenses, data reporting and analytics, scheduling, managing administrative processes, facilitating communication, and coordinating travel arrangements. Supporting a cross-section of the HR organization on a daily basis is a critical element of this role.
- Work closely with the CHRO to review departmental monthly budgets and develop annual budget submission;
- Coordinate and administer the operating budget for the HR department including forecasting and tracking expenses;
- Analyze the monthly budget vs. actual reports for HR in a timely manner and work with the finance department to resolve problems;
- Work with finance and HR colleagues to resolve any issues;
- Provide training to new HR staff on IRC’s budget policies and processes;
- Process invoices, travel reimbursements, and wire transfers as needed.
Data Collection, Reporting and Analysis
- Generate reports through the HRIS and conduct analysis and reporting (on our workforce and other categories);
- Prepare reports for the CHRO and other senior HR leaders by researching, transcribing, inputting, editing and retrieving text, data, and graphics from multiple sources.
- Manage the daily workflow of the CHRO, including scheduling and managing appointments;
- Assist in the organization and support of meetings and conferences;
- Assist in the preparation of meeting materials, including data collection, preparation and assembly of materials;
- Track next steps on meeting outcomes and communications;
- Coordinate travel arrangements as needed, including flight, accommodation, visa application and ground transportation;
- Manage and/or provide support to other HR units on special projects or activities as assigned;
- Manage and update content of HR-relevant pages on RescueNet (IRC’s intranet);
- Coordinate with Executive Assistants of other HQ departments to plan cross-functional leadership meetings as well as activities and events to promote a positive work culture and to encourage interaction within and across teams;Track leave for HR department staff;
- Perform other job related duties, as assigned.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Chief Human Resources Officer
Position directly supervises : n/a
Works closely with: All HR units and all HQ departments
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum 2 years of full-time professional work experience, with at least 1 year of experience working as an Executive Assistant to senior leadership or in a comparable role;
- Demonstrated interest in the humanitarian sector and the IRC’s mission;
- Strong budgeting/financial management skills and data analysis skills;
- Ability to organize, plan, schedule, determine priorities and meet deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multitask;
- Excellent presentation and meeting arrangement skills – a good understanding of how to create high impact settings;
- A very strong customer service-orientation and flexibility, commitment to help and support in a fast-paced, fast-changing environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders with tact and diplomacy, both orally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, ability to maintain positive working relationships at all organizational levels;
- Ability to take initiative, function independently and navigate ambiguity;
- Strong attention to detail, excellent discretion, judgment, tact, initiative, creativity, critical thinking, organizational skills, and self-motivation;
- Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook; Workday or another HRIS proficiency is a plus.
Working Environment: Standard Office Work Environment.