Director of Children’s Services
Are you committed to creating a world where immigrants, refugees, migrants, and people on the move are treated with dignity, respect, welcome and belonging? Migration and Refugee Services (MRS) fulfills the commitment of the U.S. Catholic bishops to protect the life and dignity of the human person through serving and advocating for refugees, asylees, migrants, unaccompanied children, and victims of human trafficking. Join our dynamic team to contribute to this critical mission.
The USCCB office is located in Northeast Washington, DC, near The Basilica and campus of the Catholic University of America, just a few blocks from the Brookland stop on the red line. USCCB offers a fantastic suite of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance immediately upon hire, parental leave, tuition assistance, 403(b) contributions, and free parking to those who commute by vehicle. For most positions, USCCB offers the ability to work remotely two days a week.
The Children’s Services Director plays a critical role in ensuring the fulfillment of the department of Migration and Refugee Services (MRS)’ mission and strategic goals and leads the Children’s Services team in developing and implementing objectives, activities, and metrics related to Unaccompanied Children (UC) and Unaccompanied Refugee Minors (URM). The Director provides leadership for and strategically manages all children’s services programs administered by USCCB/MRS. This includes foster care for UC and URM, home study and post-release services, specialized functions for the state of Texas related to URM and Refugee School Impact grant programming, and mind-body skills programming for youth.
Responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Managing a team of direct reports and providing oversight to a department responsible for supporting a national network of providers
- Overseeing administrative case management, consultation, and technical assistance to a national network of providers of residential, foster care, and family reunification services
- Providing overall leadership, guidance, and supervision to the Children’s Services department, including the development of job descriptions, supervision of staff, promoting staff development and training, evaluating personnel, and completion of required recording keeping for USCCB.
- Acting as primary contact with government and private funding agencies on programmatic issues and primary contact for the department within USCCB.
- Overseeing the Children’s Services budgeting process and ensuring spending is within approved budgets in coordination with Grants and Program Administration and Accounting staff.
- Ensuring appropriate representation of USCCB/MRS in a public forums on issues of migrating children
- Responsible for compliance regarding federal and non-federal grants
- Contributing to the development of and providing feedback, guidance, and subject-matter expertise on proactive and responsive policy and advocacy initiatives, activities, interventions, and strategies related to unaccompanied migrating and refugee children
- Advanced degree in social work, social sciences, administration, or related field
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in leadership, strategic planning, management, supervision, communication (including written and verbal), and negotiation
- Type and Nature of Needed Professional Experience: program management; child welfare programming; public policy; training; budget management; planning; leadership, federal grants, and cooperative agreement management.
- Minimum of eight years of directly related experience
For further details, click on the link: