Director of Security
Director of Security
December 2022 | Location: Flexible, but USA or Europe Preferred | Full Time
Reports to: Chief People Officer
Supervises: Supervises Global Security Advisor and matrix-supports country and program assigned security focal persons
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
We are proud to work on borderless teams. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of refugee, immigrant or other displaced communities to join us.
Alight’s largest priority is to keep our staff and people we serve around the globe safe and secure. The Director of Security directs the development, implementation and monitoring of an effective strategy to mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations, and provide for the safety and security of all Alight employees. They also serve as the subject matter expert on safety and security. They establish policies and standards affecting safety and security of Alight staff members, Alight field facilities and assets, and program activities. The Director of Security ensures adequate security protocols and mechanisms are in place to address country programs’ unique security challenges. They provide direction and technical support direction in developing and maintaining country programs’ context-specific field security plans and leads the organization’s Crisis Management Team. The position has the authority to direct and implement appropriate security measures for Alight country programs. This position requires 40% or more international travel.
- Direct implementation of field security measures as needed.
- Perform risk assessments and operational impact analyses
- Develop, direct, and monitor risk mitigation and incident/crisis response strategies
- Conduct field security assessments examining Alight staff, assets, compounds, residences, field sites and projects and compile a report with recommendations.
- Make visits to each field sites to monitor security preparedness and field training. Provide a follow-up report with clear recommendations after each visit.
- Develop security policies and procedures in accordance with Alight regulations and InterAction Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and ensure implementation and revisions when necessary.
- Perform security planning, assessments, training and information management.
- Collect and compile safety and security related information
- Compile field incident and situation reports (INREPs and SITREPs)
- Issue security reports: Weekly Security Summaries, Warning & Advisory, Threat Assessments, Vulnerability Analyses, etc.
- Ensure that each new employee, international and national, receives appropriate security orientation within 48 hours of arrival into the country program. Provide a framework for field security orientations.
- Develop and facilitate threat-specific security training. Assist field offices in arranging ad hoc security training workshops in consultation with the Country Director.
- Support Country Directors with specific security assistance as required including responses to escalations of insecurity.
- Lead and direct the crisis management team at headquarters.
- Maintain the network of Alight Security Focal Points at each Alight field office and conduct regular update calls.
- Work closely with the external security service providers and make sure they are well aware of the Alight security management protocols and guidelines.
- Liaise and coordinate with external agencies – UN, peacekeeping missions, NGO coordinating bodies, local governments, etc.
- Represent Alight in national and international forums for safety and security.
- All other duties assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related area
- NGO security, military or law enforcement background
- Minimum of three years implementing humanitarian field security programs strongly desired
- Experience working in humanitarian operations in conflict and post-conflict settings a plus
- Experience designing, developing, delivering and facilitating training at multiple levels
- America, Europe experience required
- Familiarity with humanitarian mission, mandate, and principles
- Knowledge of security management principles in complex environments – conflict, post-conflict, and disaster settings
- Knowledge of risk assessment and mitigation methodologies
- Familiarity with current global humanitarian and security issues
- Some knowledge of mapping utility tools
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Solid presentation skills
- Proficient with MS Office tools: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- One-to-one interviews or small group facilitation
- Research using available open sources
- Must be able to travel to international sites as needed. Position requires a minimum 40% travel to austere and complex environments.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Family Friendly – We know that you are a whole person with a life and a family. We honor this. In return, we expect that you will take ownership of your work and follow-through on your commitments; sometimes that means flexing your schedule and we’re good with that.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.