Humanitarian Policy & Practice Intern
Intern | Humanitarian Policy and Practice (HPP) Team
InterAction’s HPP Team is seeking applications for one (or two) unpaid summer (May – August) 2017 internship position(s) in Washington, DC. InterAction is the largest alliance of U.S.-based international nongovernmental organizations (INGOs) working in every developing country.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for meetings, including writing summaries of the proceedings, and other activities of the HPP team
- Completing research, outreach to members, and other projects as needed by humanitarian policy, practice, shelter, and security work streams
- Participating and, at times, representing the HPP team in various forums including outside meetings at think tanks or the Hill
- The specific work of an intern will be based upon an individual’s learning and professional goals, as well as the initiatives of InterAction’s Humanitarian Policy & Practice Team.
- A unique opportunity of the summer internship is participation in InterAction’s annual Forum, taking place June 20-22 at the Washington, DC Convention Center
- Understand the linkage between international policy and programming in the humanitarian field
- Understand core elements of the global humanitarian architecture, including the roles of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC), UN, and NGO community
- Demonstrate knowledge of technical, thematic, or regional issues related to the work of the HPP team and/or according to the interests of the intern
- Gain experience working in a professional, collaborative team environment
- Develop communication, writing, and task/time management skills
An intern can expect to gain the following experiences beyond daily work duties:
- Working group meetings – access to meetings of members and InterAction staff on a variety of current issues within the humanitarian assistance field
- Learn about the humanitarian architecture, advocacy, policy, and operations
- Potential interviews with senior-level staff members at InterAction
- Access to InterAction’s Young Professionals Network and related events
- Opportunities to informally network with InterAction staff members and individuals from more than 180 member organizations
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Flexibility to meet changing deadlines and priorities
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Interest, familiarity, and/or coursework in humanitarian assistance is strongly preferred
Internship will range between 20 to 40 hours per week. Most work will occur at InterAction’s office, located in northwest Washington, DC. A small monthly reimbursement for travel of $50 is available. A typical internship runs from May – August, but start and end dates are flexible.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line containing: HPP Intern. Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls please.