M & E Specialist at J-PAL SEA
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEUI), seeks a qualified applicant for the position of M&E Specialist based in Jakarta. This position offers an excellent opportunity to have significant responsibility and contribute to the growth of a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research, policy outreach, and training.
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a research center headquartered within the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL’s mission is to ensure that policy is informed by scientific evidence. J-PAL SEA is one of six independent regional offices based around the world hosted at leading universities. J-PAL SEA’s three main activities are:
- Research: conducting randomized evaluations to test and improve the effectiveness of programs and policies aimed at reducing poverty
- Policy Outreach: analyzing and disseminating research results and building partnerships with policymakers to ensure that policy is informed by evidence, and effective programs are scaled up
- Training: building policymakers’ capacity to become more effective producers and consumers of evidence from impact evaluations
The M&E Specialist will be responsible for managing J-PAL SEA’s monitoring and evaluation activities. He/she will report directly to J-PAL SEA’s Executive Director.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Finalizing J-PAL SEA’s Monitoring & Evaluation plan (logical framework, theory of change, key outcomes and outputs) according to donor’s requirement
- Building and improving systems to collect data on and track J-PAL SEA performance against outputs, outcomes, investment criteria, and Performance indicators and coordinating across teams in J-PAL SEA to collect these data on a regular basis
- Writing high-quality, detailed reports about J-PAL SEA’s work for major donors and partners in English, including: learning our donors’ reporting requirements and standards and ensuring that J-PAL SEA’s reports meet or exceed them, and working with J-PAL SEA management to revise report drafts and get them approved. Knowledge of/experience with reporting standards for the Australian Government a plus
- Write, edit, and proofread short, powerful stories about J-PAL SEA’s research and policy outreach work in English for non-technical policy and donor audiences
- Writing reports summarizing J-PAL SEA performance and success stories
- Education: Masters or advanced degree with strong academic record, preferably in economics, public policy, development, or a related field
- Experience: At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in policy/program design and implementation or M&E. Previous work experience in Indonesia preferred. If you have less than 5 years of experience, consider applying for another position at J-PAL SEA.
- Knowledge: Ability to understand and clearly convey the value of J-PAL SEA’s research, training, and policy work in clear, concise, and powerful language
- Communication: Attention to detail and strong writing and presentation skills in English are required. This position requires the ability to write documents that are clear, persuasive, and easy for a non-technical audience to understand. Proficiency in Indonesian language preferred
- Time Management: Proven ability to deliver high quality end products, and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel: This position requires travel to meet with senior policymakers in governments, NGOs, foundations, and international development organizations
- Language skills: High-level of proficiency (fluent or native) in English. Proficiency in Indonesian a plus
How to Apply:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “102079 J-PAL SEA, M&E specialist.” Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, a cover letter no longer than 500 words, 3 references and university/graduate school transcripts. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA. In your cover letter, please mention that you learned of this position from InterAction's job board.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting immediately. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.