Operations Director (Finance) & Controller
Avaaz is an international campaigning and advocacy organization that provides its global membership of millions of people with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, and fighting to stop disinformation from undermining our democracies.
Operations Director (Finance): Position Overview
Avaaz is searching for an experienced and mission-driven Operations Director (Finance) who will also serve as Controller to join its multicultural, international team. This is an exciting position at the operational heart of one of the most promising public organizations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change efforts from a mission-driven finance perspective. The Avaaz finance team is integral to the organization, and finance staff members contribute to the overall success of our work on a daily basis.
The Operations Director (Finance) will lead several critical aspects of Avaaz’s finance operations, including management of high-level finance tasks and relationships. This position calls for a professional with expertise in an international finance and compliance environment. They will be a responsible steward of member-raised funds, and have enthusiasm for both vision and implementation of complex strategies. The Operations Director (Finance) will play a key role in researching, developing, and rolling out frameworks for sound financial management and systems that create transparency and accountability.
The Operations Director (Finance) will report to the Head of Operations. They will work closely with the Director of Strategic Finance to oversee the entire scope of finance operations at Avaaz. This position focuses on AP, accounting, budgeting, reporting, audit, tax, and financial policy development and implementation, as well as other duties as assigned.
- Oversee the work of the payments and accounting team, guiding payment strategy and accounting functions
- Perform month-close procedures and reporting
- Manage annual financial audit, preparation of financial statements, and filing of IRS Form 990
- Project manage the creation of the annual operating budget
- Ensure accurate entry of revenue into the accounting system, and support reporting on revenue as needed
- Develop, implement, and apply financial and budget-related policies and procedures, including internal controls, accounting standards, and staff reimbursement policies
- Ensure that all organizational insurance policies are properly maintained, work with insurance brokers to renew annual policies, and make recommendations for new policies and changes to existing policies.
- Respond to emergent requests from the Avaaz staff for items such as financial reports, support with program budgets, employment- and travel-related letters, budget approvals, etc.
- Liaise with representatives from financial institutions to build and maintain strong relationships that support the efficacy of our finance operations, ensure smooth and timely payment processes, and proactively identify potential payment-related issues including compliance with sanctions
- Maintain office leases in various locations and manage subtenant relationships
- Research, develop, and implement software solutions for budgeting and multi-currency accounting
- Create and maintain reporting dashboards, using external software or internal processes
- Research opportunities to work with banking institutions that meet Avaaz’s needs and are aligned with its values
- Support vetting of options for accounting software to meet the financial needs of the organization
Management and additional responsibilities
- Serve in a leadership capacity in the finance team, mentor and guide staff members, ensure effective workflows, support the team to meet deadlines, and develop overall vision along with Head of Finance
- Manage an estimated 1-2 staff members
- Collaborate with the rest of the Operations team on financial aspects of Avaaz operations
- Manage special projects within the finance team as applicable
You should apply for this role if you have most of the following:
Experience and Knowledge
- 5-7+ years of experience working in and leading financial operations, ideally in an international environment
- Experience managing accounting functions in multiple currencies
- Existing knowledge of US GAAP preferred, or existing knowledge of similar accounting standards with ability to learn US GAAP standards quickly
- Experience in nonprofit audits and tax compliance
- Aptitude for and experience in financial reporting and analysis and/or data analytics and visualization
- Comfort using accounting software, such as Quickbooks
- Experience managing organizational finance operations in general, including compliance in multiple jurisdictions
- CPA, CMA, relevant graduate degree, or other accounting credential a plus but not required
Aptitudes and Interests
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements
- Strong problem-solving abilities and strategic, creative, and innovative thinking
- Exceptional attention to detail, organizational skills, and follow through
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A growth mindset and a desire to challenge yourself
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment, and social change
- Excellent computer skills in general
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset.
This position is remote and ideally based in Europe/Middle East/African time zones, with other time zones considered. Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done online. Our staff members are based all over the world and ordinarily meet at team retreats twice per year.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary varies with location and experience, and is highly competitive with leading international nongovernmental organisations.The full-package of compensation for this position ranges from 59,741 - 109,017 EUR for European candidates, depending on local cost of living and experience. An accurate range in local currency will be provided to candidates.
- 5 weeks paid vacation per year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- $3,000 USD for training and development per year
- $1,500 USD for language development per year
- Out-of-Home Workspace Rental
Avaaz’s commitment to equity and inclusion
As a global organization with millions of members around the world, it’s essential that our team reflects the diversity needed to lead a movement of people from across the planet, rising to meet some of the most complex challenges humanity has ever faced. We believe we can only succeed by building a diverse team full of fresh perspectives and original ideas, and we are committed to creating a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Our team includes native and non-native English speakers, the self-taught and university educated, people with all sorts of professional backgrounds. If doing the job you just read about would make you excited to come to work every day, if you’re talented, hard-working and committed to making a difference - we want you to apply.
Avaaz does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, language and accent, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, family/parental or marital status, political affiliation, religion, socioeconomic class/caste, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have suggestions for us on how to put these values into practice in our hiring process, we’d value your input. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.
We’ll provide reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities or special needs to participate in the application process, so please let us know if you have such a request when you apply.