Program Manager (Based in Guyana)
The Department of Global Health and Arnhold Institute for Global Health at the Icahn School of Medicine seeks qualified development professionals to serve as the in-country program manager for Mount Sinai’s programs in the Co-operative Republic of Guyana. The program manager will coordinate the in-country implementation of an upcoming funded program to advise Guyana’s Ministry of Health on the development and implementation of a National Health Strategy and other programs to support and strengthen Guyana’s National Health System. This initial three-year program will support the development of strategy and programs focused on strengthening governance, operational management, health information systems, health workforce, health care service delivery and systems, public health financing, and public health and primary care from the community to tertiary care centers in Guyana. The position will be located in Georgetown, Guyana and may require regional or international travel.
The Program Manager for Guyana will assist in program implementation in Guyana helping the country director ensure program quality, alignment, and collaboration with key program stakeholders. They will facilitate, coordinate, and oversee advisory teams from Mount Sinai as they support the Ministry of Health and government of Guyana to develop and implement a National Health Strategy and other programs to strengthen Guyana’s national health system.
The Program Manager will also serve as the program’s primary liaison for assigned activities managing key relationships with relevant stakeholders including senior government officials of the health, finance, education and other ministries, administrators and faculty at select academic partner institutions, representatives from major public and private sector partners, clinical and health system leaders, regional government authorities, and diplomatic missions including development agency representatives, PAHO, and other program stakeholders.
They will assist in the refinement and implementation of approved program work plans and be responsible for the timely completion of key program goals and deliverables as assigned. They will play a critical role in standing-up early phase operations and programs in Guyana, building key counterpart relationships needed for successful program implementation, facilitating advisory teamwork, and ensuring in-country operations are successfully implemented, appropriately supported, and consistent with approved contract terms as well as government partner expectations and needs. This position will report directly to the Guyana Country Director.
The position will be in Georgetown, Guyana and will require regional and international travel as well as relocation for the duration of the project. This position is grant-funded and or gift-funded and is contingent upon sufficient funding.
● Previous experience working in Guyana, South America and/or the Caribbean region is strongly preferred.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
● A high degree of independent action and adherence to strict timelines.
● Very strong organizational skills, analytical and problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail.
● Capable of operating independently and making independent judgments and to act on decisions on a daily basis.
● Excellent leadership skills with the ability to negotiate and work collaboratively; must be able to manage up, sideways and down effectively.
● Ability to represent the department with professional maturity and engage with senior stakeholders. Previous experience working with government and elected officials in low- and middle-income country contexts preferred.
● Demonstrated experience coordinating the work of teams at multiple locations.
● Strong understanding of research and evaluation methods including, but not limited to, participant recruitment, survey administration, quantitative and qualitative data collection, management, and analysis, and human subjects protections measures.
● A Master’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution, and no fewer than two years (2) of related experience; OR
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited institution, and no fewer than three years (3) of related experience;
● Possession of the core competencies determined to be required at the time of hire.
● Experience in formal project management methodologies; experience with research coordination, experience in higher education, nonprofit, government, or healthcare environme