Senior Program Officer, Syria Program
Title: Senior Program Officer, Syria Program
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Syracuse, NY
Travel: Up to 20% of time
Relocation Assistance: Yes
About the Near East Foundation:
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking candidates for a Senior Program Officer to be based in its Syracuse, NY HQ office. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East, Caucasus, and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF has operations in ten countries: Armenia, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, South Sudan, and Syria. Its programs are organized around three themes: Inclusive Economic Development, Climate-resilient Development, and Stabilization and Peacebuilding.
The Syria Program builds on NEF’s innovative approaches to microfinance, value chain development, and agricultural recovery in North East and North West Syria. The program has grown significantly since 2017 in partnership with major institutional donors.
NEF is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to serve as Senior Program Officer (SPO) to support the Syria Program. The SPO will primarily provide overall coordination of HQ support to field teams to facilitate timely, effective, and impactful project implementation and growth.
The SPO will work directly with NEF’s Regional Team in Amman, Jordan, to support the effective delivery and programmatic excellence of NEF projects. They will serve as the primary headquarters (HQ) point of contact for a portfolio of projects and will provide coordination and support across contract management and multiple program support functions. The SPO will work under the supervision of the Program Manager and in close collaboration with NEF Headquarters and field teams.
Specific responsibilities include:
Contract Management, Coordination and Capacity Building (75%)
- Manage the development and submission of weekly updates and progress reports, and serve as internal and external focal point for designated grants/contracts;
- Track project progress and mobilize management support to ensure high-quality and timely implementation and monitoring of project activities; facilitate adaptive management;
- Coordinate on a regular basis with field project management, convening HQ technical, MEL, compliance, communications, finance, and risk management support as needed;
- Ensure compliance with agreements, regulations and requirements attached to NEF programs (including donor compliance requirements) and internal quality standards;
- Conduct periodic visits to field teams to monitor and support project implementation;
- Identify and advocate for professional development and capacity building needs and opportunities for local teams;
- Provide timely inputs for fundraising and communication needs;
- Identify, track and manage operational, economic and environmental risks for NEF projects;
- Design and manage project-specific consultancies, such as evaluations and learning studies; assist in ToR development, recruitment and management of consultants;
- Contribute to MEL processes and coordinate with MEL staff to ensure excellence across project cycles;
- Coordinate with Program staff to mobilize technical support for project design, implementation and learning;
- Coordinate budget management processes on assigned projects.
Program Development (20%)
- Coordinate and develop business development products (including highlights and lowlights; learning documents; fact sheets; and in-depth reviews); technical innovation processes; pipeline growth and business capture.
- Contribute to the conceptualisation and preparation of funding proposals for institutional donors.
External Representation (5%)
- Represent NEF in external meetings and other fora.
Ad Hoc Support
- Other project management and representational needs as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have the following qualification and experience:
- A university degree in a relevant subject;
- At least four years of demonstrated experience in development and/or humanitarian organisations;
- At least two years of demonstrated experience and effectiveness in project management and knowledge of project management tools and systems, including MEL policies, processes, tools and capacities;
- Demonstrated interest and familiarity in microfinance, economic development, or private sector development programming;
- At least two yeas of demonstrated experience and effectiveness in project management and knowledge of project management tools and systems;
- Previous field experience in one or more countries in an NEF region of interest; demonstrated understanding of the Syria context and operating environment;
- Ability to deliver while navigating complex political environments;
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a diversity of stakeholders;
- Experience in (or understanding of) effective risk management;
- Outstanding spoken and written English;
- All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the UK or US at the time of application.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience in market systems or labour activation programming in fragile settings;
- Experience in refugee/IDP livelihoods programming;
- Experience in innovate finance programming;
- Experience and success with proposal development and fundraising for NGOs;
- Previous experience working on Syria programming; understanding of context and operating environment;
- Arabic language skills is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English;
- Ability to swiftly process large amounts of information, identifying action items and priorities for support and escalation;
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites (excluding Syria);
- Ability to cultivate strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders across a wide variety of cultural contexts;
- Ability to communicate with colleagues and partners remotely;
- Understanding of effective and values-based partnership work;
- Ability to think creatively and maintain a positive solution-oriented approach in high-pressure contexts.
NEF will accept a rolling application until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. A first review of applications will begin on January 23, 2023.
Please apply by submitting the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience and skills based on the requirements outlined above.
- Curriculum Vitae;
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer).
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org.
The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NEF offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes: 20 PTO days plus 12 Company Holidays; generous medical, dental and, vision coverage; HRA and FSA benefits; employer paid short and long-term disability; employer paid life insurance; TIAA-CREF retirement plan with 8% employer contribution, paid family leave, and more!
Covid-19 Vaccine Policy for Employees
The Near East Foundation has determined that, in an effort to protect the health, safety, and well-being of all Near East Foundation, all employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including boosters as recommended by the CDC, regardless of prior COVID-19 infection status. This policy is necessary to ensure not only the safety of our workforce, but the ongoing functionality of the organization.
This policy will be revised as needed to comply with federal, state, and local requirements, and to respond to changing guidance from public health authorities.
Team members that travel are expected to comply with host-country requirements, including vaccinations. Failure to comply may impact your employment. Proof of vaccination or exemption must be provided.
Any Employment with the Near East Foundation will be subject to the following checks prior to start date:
- A satisfactory Restricted Party Screening;
- Receipt of satisfactory references;
- Proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this role.