Senior Specialist, Health
We believe in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with women.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods. We’re making an impact – learn more.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply. Read more from our President & CEO below.
As our Senior Specialist, Health, you will bring field-based technical expertise in maternal and child health (MCH) and rural health care service delivery and a passion for and commitment to CMMB’s mission, in order to guide the planning and execution of the Children and Mothers Partnership (CHAMPS) program. You will also help to drive change – in terms of strategic clarity, high quality programming, excellent project implementation, strong performance management, and technical capacity within the organization – in order to improve CMMB’s impact on the lives of mothers and children and the well-being of communities we serve, and to position CMMB as a recognized leader in community-based health care delivery.
You will report to our Senior Vice President, Programs and Volunteers, and provide technical leadership and guidance to CMMB country teams and our MCH programming, with specific emphasis on: obstetric care for women, postnatal care for mother and newborn, nutrition, and treatment of diarrhea, pneumonia and other life-threatening childhood diseases; as well as broader critically-needed community health care, such as HIV prevention, malaria prevention and treatment, and water, sanitation & hygiene. You will also lead and guide CMMB’s work in strengthening local health care systems, both in fixed facilities and through community health care workers. Your key role in mobilizing resources for CMMB’s health work and fostering collaboration within CMMB around CHAMPS is essential, as is your collaboration with key external partners and donors on strengthening our health programming.
We’re looking for a deeply passionate, experienced Senior Specialist, Health who will champion our values, balance strategic thinking with operational excellence, drive growth of our programmatic portfolio and persistently push for superior quality in CHAMPS and programming for women’s and children’s health.
- Act as one of CMMB’s global health co-technical leads, particularly regarding MCH and community-based health systems strengthening.
- Advise on refinement of CMMB’s overall CHAMPS strategy and guide country-level program strategy formulation, including advising on most appropriate program performance indicators.
- Define/refine and implement an end-to-end program performance measurement model for CHAMPS, in collaboration with other CMMB technical specialists.
- Co-lead the development of operational guidance for CMMB’s health sector programming and for training field staff and workers, as needed.
- Identify and support the development of opportunities for grants acquisition, and provide technical leadership in proposal development; ensure CMMB’s proposals are built on best practices in the field, to promote high quality programming around women’s and children’s health and local health care systems strengthening.
- Provide technical oversight and leadership to the implementation of CMMB’s health programs; provide in-country technical assistance as needed and appropriate.
- Review project progress reports, with a view towards identifying problems needing remediation so that CMMB is able to deliver high quality programs to its stakeholders.
- Measure success and impact, with a view towards identifying activities that merit replicability and/or scaling up.
- Build technical knowledge base and knowledge-sharing platform based on CMMB’s experience – to enhance CMMB’s own programming and decision-making.
- Document CMMB’s accomplishments and lessons learned and disseminate to other actors in the field so as to position CMMB as a recognized leader in community-based health care delivery.
- Develop and expand CMMB’s engagement with relevant health-related networks to ensure quality improvement in MCH and environmental health programs.
- Represent CMMB with partners on relevant working/technical advisory bodies and at global conferences and meetings.
- Contribute technical content to the development of high quality external communications in alignment with the CHAMPS strategy, including presentations and advocacy materials for donor and partner outreach.
- Provide technical leadership in building a vibrant brand for high impact, life-saving community-based health care delivery for mothers and children.
You have 8+ years of program work experience in a senior technical position in international MCH. You have a Master’s degree in Public Health and have experience working in Africa on public health programs. You have hands-on experience in MCH and community-level health care systems strengthening, including at fixed facilities, and your knowledge of the latest international recommendations in these fields are commendable. You speak the language of health program management including experience in proposal development, formulating and monitoring program budgets and work plans, and managing project implementation.
You can demonstrate your direct experience in monitoring progress of country-based projects and working with quantitative data to measure results, as well as undertake problem analysis, to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools, and to organize diverse information in a systematic way, while thinking creatively in proposing approaches that improve program design, implementation and results reporting.
You are a relationship-builder, you build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders. You are a timely and effective communicator with superior presentation skills.
You also have proven skills in mentoring and engaging teams that have varying technical background and levels of technical training, and you have experience in building human resources and lead skills transfer in the public health field.
Although, not a mandatory requirement, it is desired that you have experience with a major bilateral or multilateral MCH project, such as USAID’s Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths (EPCMD), as well as experience in nutrition or water and sanitation or environmental health.
You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How to apply
A message from Bruce Wilkinson, President and CEO of CMMB – Healthier Lives Worldwide
As President of CMMB, I would like to thank you for your interest in joining with us on our journey to bring healthier lives to women, children and their families worldwide. CMMB has embarked on our second century of service to the most marginalized. Our vision of a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all is at the core of who we are. We are always looking to join hands with experienced professionals who want to add their energy to our work, and are so pleased you are considering CMMB as your potential employer.
The position of Senior Specialist, Health is critical to our mission and vision. I welcome your interest in joining a diverse, talented, professional and motivated team.