Vice President of Philanthropy
Refugees International (RI), a humanitarian organization which advocates for lifesaving assistance and protection for over 100 million refugees and other displaced people worldwide, seeks a Vice President of Philanthropy (VP). The VP will work closely with the President, the Board of Directors, the development team, and advocates to establish and execute fundraising and outreach strategies that effectively engage the philanthropic community. As Refugees International does not accept government or UN funding, thus enabling the advocates to speak freely and independently, the VP will develop multi-year strategies and set goals to cultivate individuals, corporations, and foundations to increase annual philanthropic support. The VP must be skilled at building and leading dynamic teams, creating a culture of philanthropy internally, establishing consensus, and engaging the entire organization in development efforts. Based in Washington, DC, this person will report to the President.
Strategic Fundraising Design and Implementation
- Provide vision, leadership, and strategy for sustainable financial growth;
- Partner with the RI President to establish and execute long- and short-term strategic development priorities to increase support from individuals, foundations, and corporations;
- Secure transformational gifts (five figures-plus) and establish strong revenue support through donor-centric relationship building;
- Effectively translate programmatic offerings into compelling narratives, building a strong case for financial support;
- Identify and actively solicit prospects for current, capital, planned and blended gifts;
- Create and manage gift strategies and proposals and provide detailed actions, results, and timing of potential gifts, while addressing opportunities related to estate and financial planning of potential donors;
- Effectively engage staff and board members in donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies to establish a culture of philanthropy and build engagement in organization-wide development efforts
- Design effective long term stewardship programs and opportunities for current donors;
- Plan, organize and execute all RI fundraising events (currently two major events and smaller events as decided during the year);
- Build, lead, motivate, and inspire a fundraising team, ensuring high levels of professionalism, innovation, and accountability.
- Prepare and present monthly and quarterly planning and success reports to the president and board;
- Develop revenue projection data tools;
- Oversee and support the research and identification of corporate, individual, institutional, and major gift prospects, ensuring that data, analysis and research tools are leveraged effectively;
- Monitor dashboards tracking progress against goals;
- Assess fundraising systems and implement necessary improvements and integration with the Strategic Outreach department’s CRM systems;
- Ensure accurate recording of all gifts and
- Securing project and organization information, and detailed donor information (including historical data);
- Meeting quarterly fundraising goals;
- Creating and presenting monthly reports on fundraising progress for the president and board;
- Performing other major and planned gift donor activities as required by management or the board;
- Managing of people, process, deadlines, and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization.
- 10+ years of progressive development experience, with at least 5 at the management level;
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree/record of continuing professional development preferred;
- Experience developing and implementing innovative and integrated development strategies resulting in measurable revenue growth;
- Proven success securing five-figure plus gifts from private philanthropic sources;
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds;
- Experience leveraging social media, public outreach, and online fundraising tools to support comprehensive development initiatives;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with colleagues, board member, donors, and prospects;
- Excellent analytical, writing, and public speaking communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage multiple projects and deadlines;
- Ability to work well with others in an entrepreneurial and collaborative manner;
- Commitment to operating with the highest degree of integrity and accountability
- Knowledge of CRMs; Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Salary in the range of $170,000 - $180,000 annually
Refugees International is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. RI welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Applications should include a cover letter and résumé. Writing samples may be requested.