Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project
Shanti Bhavan is a residential school exclusively for children born into India’s lowest socioeconomic class. Those born into poverty remind entrapped in systems that perpetuate inequality due to a lack of social protection, access to quality education, and low wages. In fact, it would take seven generations for an individual born in a low-income family to reach a mean income. Shanti Bhavan breaks the cycle of poverty in a single generation.
As a registered non-profit in the US and India, we provide high-quality education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. We promote academic achievement, instill values of global citizenship, and emphasize leadership development. Our program gives individual attention to every aspect of a child’s upbringing: emotional development, mental and physical fitness, social and cognitive growth, and academic excellence. The support extends beyond pre-K-12 education as we strive to ensure graduates continue to excel in high education and employment. In total, this is 17 yeast of intense intervention per child – from age 4 to 21.
Administrative Managers liaise between Shanti Bhavan teams in the US and India. The main components of this role include managing the volunteer program, interfacing with visitors, supplying content required for sponsorship updates, and assisting and contributing to the Shanti Bhavan administration.
This is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a close-knit community with the common goal of poverty alleviation through world-class education. Your experience as an Administrative Manager will allow you to grow your cross-cultural competency and equip you for future success in international spaces anywhere in the world. Past Administrative Managers have gone on to work in organizations like the World Bank and UNESCO or moved up to leadership roles as Vice Principals and Deans after completing their tenures.
- Oversee a team of up to 10 volunteers from diverse backgrounds. This includes creating, organizing, and overseeing teaching schedules for volunteers, managing volunteer logistics (arrivals, rooming, training, etc.), hosting a weekly volunteer meeting, and serving as a liaison between the volunteers and the Shanti Bhavan administration.
- Plan and host visits with donors, public figures, and individuals or groups from multinational corporations, including CEOs.
- Supply content required for sponsorship updates and other digital media assets used across advertising platforms and donor-facing communications.
- Organize extracurricular activities (debate, public speaking, academic competitions, etc.). Plan and facilitate leadership development workshops for high schoolers.
- Assist with student applications for external programs, passports or visas, and certified letters for official student documents.
- Collaborate with senior administration to proactively manage and respond to student behavior both in the classroom and campus community.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with the children to ensure academic growth and holistic development.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with Shanti Bhavan faculty and senior administration based on high trust and respect to ensure high-quality education for all students.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Two years of work experience.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with staff, donors, corporate sponsors, etc., often bridging cultural gaps.
- Experience with planning and logistics, including long-term project management.
- Experience and expertise in procuring large amounts of video and photo assets to be used for fundraising purposes are highly preferred.
- Ability to create systems, assign tasks, and prioritize competing projects.
- Capacity to serve as a supportive and professional mentor to the children.
- Detail-oriented and conscientious.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing situations and expectations and relay those adjustments to other team members.
- Superior ability to handle stress and set boundaries both personally and professionally.
- Comfort with working closely with another individual who shares many overlapping responsibilities.
- Strong work ethic and an openness to learning new skills.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision while remaining abreast of the school’s vision.
- Competency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and other office software/tools.
Work Environment/Health Requirements
- Shanti Bhavan is a rural village and self-sufficient, relying on solar power and an organic farm for food. Living conditions are relatively basic (dorm-style rooming, possible power outages, etc.), with limited opportunities to travel off campus.
- Candidates must be comfortable working in such an environment.
- Complete COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory to work on the Shanti Bhavan’s
- Children’s Project campus. For the purpose of this policy, fully vaccinated indicates that you have received a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.
Baliganapalli, Tamil Nadu, INDIA
The position includes a salary equivalent to Indian local standards plus an additional monthly stipend equivalent to $1000 USD.
All expenses paid, including:
- Roundtrip airfare/transportation to and from campus.
- On-campus room and board.
- Visa fees.
Start Date: June 2023. Candidates must be willing to commit until mid-December 2023, with the possibility of an extension until April 2024.
Interested candidates should submit a resume or CV and cover letter to Global Operations Manager, Gowri Manoharan at firstname.lastname@example.org.