Chief Financial Officer
Food for the Hungry (FH) is an international Christian nonprofit organization committed to serving those affected by poverty, marginalization and injustice so they have agency and resources, and are resilient and flourishing. FH works with the world’s most vulnerable people in over 20 countries. Guided and differentiated by Heartbeat values, FH follows the example of Jesus, who saw the value and dignity of every person.
This is a time of transformation, growth and promise at FH. The organization is re-imagining its culture, structure, approaches and business model in order to better invest in resiliency and life opportunities for exponentially more children and families. Revenues have grown to $192 million, up 33% in two years, equally balanced between government grants and private support. Significant continued growth is projected, through these and emerging revenue sources.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) reports to the CEO and is a strategic partner to the Executive Leadership Team, Board and global FH staff. The CFO leads Ministry Support Services, including finance, budget development and performance, grants management, quality control, audit, technology, risk management and legal services.
The CFO manages a team of 50 that collaborates across the global organization.
The CFO will bring a record of accomplishment in relevant, complex international contexts. The CFO is charged both with strengthening core processes, and with helping to envision and bring to life a re-imagined business model. As a top FH leader, the CFO will model Heartbeat values, advancing the culture, and building, galvanizing and equipping global teams that are efficient, accountable, and passionate about FH’s mission.
The Chief Financial Officer will:
- Be a forward-looking leader of vision, strategy and operations. The CFO will be an experienced financial professional able to build and develop a world-class team and create trusted relationships across the global workforce. The CFO will be a creative thought partner for the CEO, Board, Senior leaders and the Ministry Support Services team. Through transparent communication, collaboration and know-how, the CFO will inspire and implement improvements to current core processes, and will envision and bring to life a reimagined Ministry Support business model.
- Strengthen core financial and risk management processes and systems. The CFO will have experience with complex, growing revenue streams including private, governmental, and other funding sources. The CFO will enhance, streamline and standardize systems and processes. Leveraging data analytics, technology, ISO 9001 quality standards, know-how and best practices, the CFO will elevate reporting, forecasting and consistent, transparent and secure approaches across FH’s global footprint. The result will be improved confidence, accountability, and measurable outcomes.
- Lead transformation, re-imagination and innovation. The CFO will have an entrepreneurial streak, change management expertise, and passion for re-imagining business processes, systems and structures. As a key player in FH re-imagining, the CFO will be a source of ongoing improvement and creative solutions. The CFO will elevate organizational capabilities in areas that include financial skills, data analysis, business intelligence and forecasting.
- Build, manage and motivate a world-class team. The CFO will be an engaging, trusted leader and developer of outstanding Ministry Support talent, engendering engagement and longterm commitment. The CFO will build strong, collaborative and cohesive teams at headquarters and across FH. The CFO will be a natural, clear and compelling communicator who listens, builds bridges and instills confidence. The CFO will equip and empower staff, valuing input and creating space for innovation and ideas. The CFO will advance financial, IT and risk management knowledge across the organization, contributing to FH culture, cohesion and transformation. Ministry Support Services will set a new high bar for responsiveness, partnership and solutions.
- Be a catalyst for the FH of the future. The CFO will engage, with urgency and creativity, as a strategic business partner passionate about envisioning and achieving a re-imagined future. By applying financial, operational and implementation skills, the CFO will play a critical role in actualizing re-imagined approaches and new funding streams, making them accessible and actionable to the global FH community, and embedding them sustainably and consistently.
Learn more about this position in the Leadership Profile here.
For potential consideration or to suggest a prospect, please email FHCFO@BoardWalkConsulting.com
or call Kathy Bremer, Cynthia Moreland, or Patti Kish at 404-BoardWalk (404-262-7392).