Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Director, Communications
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
The Communications Associate helps to implement our media and communications strategy. The senior associate will raise awareness of and support for the critical work of InterAction and its members and will be an integral part of the communications team: managing InterAction's monthly e-newsletter and web blog; developing dynamic and engaging web and social media content; working with members and InterAction staff to design and implement special communications projects; assisting on writing, editing, research projects, team logistics, and identifying best-in-class communications strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, preferably communications, public relations, journalism or English.
- 2-3 years of communications experience required, preferably with public policy or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience creating and posting engaging digital content using web Content Management Systems (Drupal preferred) and newsletter distributions (MailChimp and Salesforce preferred).
- Strong written and verbal communication ability, including communicating via social media.
- Editing and proofreading skills, including knowledge of AP style.
- Interest in and basic understanding of development and humanitarian relief issues.
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a team, managing multiple priorities with flexibility and exceptional follow-through.
- Organized, detail-oriented, efficient, self-motivated, creative and desire to contribute towards showing impact in a fast-changing field.
- Video production and editing or graphic design; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites (particularly InDesign and Photoshop).
- Some experience with finance and administrative support.
- Familiarity with Drupal and Salesforce.
Storytelling and Brand Building
- Manage monthly e-newsletter, including helping write, edit, and develop a list of draft stories.
- Develop, write, and edit website content and blog posts, social media content, and emails.
- Coordinate and conduct special writing and editing projects.
- Create multimedia projects for web and social media.
Member and Partner Engagement
- Help member communications staff in using InterAction's website, conduct outreach to members, and support communications working group activities.
- Help organize and support communications events such as webinars, media events, and working group meetings.
Agenda Setting and Advocacy
- Help support InterAction’s social media engagement strategy.
- Develop, write, edit, format, and distribute press releases, media advisories, and other materials.
- Help maintain accurate press lists and contacts.
Systems, Capacity and Other Duties
- Support communications team by managing department finances, updating databases and contact lists, organizing department files, helping establish systems and protocols.
- Help track communications metrics, such as web traffic and daily media monitoring.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Success Factors: The Communications Associate position is an integral position for a hands-on, flexible individual who thrives in a highly collaborative environment. He or she should be able to provide coordination for and participate in a wide variety of projects ranging from basic communications administration work to collaborating on strategy and ways to communicate with greater influence to assisting with enactment of communications strategies that position the organization for growth and impact. The successful incumbent will demonstrate creativity and willingness to go beyond assigned duties while maintaining good humor.
Duties are conducted in a traditional office environment. There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. Some meetings require telephone hosting or the management of other audio-visual equipment. InterAction will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary & Benefits:
InterAction provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
We will accept applications until the position is filled; however, those submitted before March 8, 2017, will be considered first.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Communications Associate. Finalists will be asked to complete a writing and editing exercise.
Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted.
All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States (US citizenship or “Green Card”). No phone calls please.