Director of Communications
The Director of Communications is a newly created position for IOCC’s Headquarters to lead its global communication strategies. We are looking for an experienced communications leader to join the executive team and collaborate closely with the Director of Development. Position reports to the CEO at HQ and is open to US Residents only.
The Director of Communications is primarily responsible for leading, directing and managing IOCC’s global communication strategies, including organizational positioning and branding. This position is also responsible for, but not limited to: establishing annual plans and budgets for communications activities and platforms that advance IOCC’s mission, strategic plan, brand and reputation; determining effective communications channels for IOCC (e.g. traditional and digital media, website, personal interactions, and public relations); guiding and managing all aspects of IOCC’s communications, including conceptualization, development, writing, editing, design, production, and dissemination.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
1. Communications Strategy: Develop and ensure execution of IOCC’s organizational communications strategy in support of institutional goals, including the identification of target audiences and key messages. Oversee and guide, plans and strategies to achieve communications objectives. Lead conceptualization and oversee writing, editorial, production, dissemination and publications management of communications materials in support of the IOCC’s brand strategy. Partner with all departments and country offices to establish communications and objectives. Occasional travel to establish priorities.
2. Public Relations: Identify opportunities for IOCC to gain media coverage and oversee the writing of press releases, op-eds, and keynote presentations/speeches. Provide preparation and training to IOCC Board, leaders, and Communications team for public speaking engagements. Serve as IOCC’s point of contact for external communications.
3. Brand Management: Develop and manage IOCC’s institutional brand and voice in line with industry standards and best practices. Serve as overall brand manager ensuring consistency in the language, look and feel of all materials targeted to identified audiences. Develop and oversees the use and standards for IOCC’s design work for all print and digital collateral.
4. Communications Planning & Editing: Develop and guide editorial direction. Lead the development of the annual editorial calendar to guide coordinated organizational efforts. Guide creative services, including print collateral materials and digital content, by communicating and disseminating updates and key messages from IOCC. Oversee the creation of compelling content and ensure timely and accurate production of the organization’s communications such as, newsletter, annual report, press releases, success stories and other communications vehicles.
5. Leadership: Recruit, hire, train, coach, supervise, evaluate and develop a staff of communications professionals. Develop and manage the Communications budget. Contribute to the development of project proposals and budgets to ensure resources for strategic positioning and visibility efforts.
6. Vendor Oversight: Has editorial oversight for communications consultants and vendors and oversees those relationships, including budgeting and approvals.
Minimally Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Marketing, Communications Principles and Practices: Mastery of knowledge of applying standards, guidelines and best practices to marketing and communications efforts. Mastery of skills to create, execute and sustain effective enterprise-wide brand strategies. Strong knowledge in visual and design skills, design process, and print production.
● Public Relations and Media Management: Strong knowledge of public relations and media standards, and ability to develop and implement public relations standards. Strong knowledge in developing and delivering media training.
● Leadership and Supervision: Proven ability to lead, supervise and coach members of staff in different locations and with varied backgrounds.
● Software Applications and Communications Tools: Mastery of knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. Mastery of knowledge of software applications for web based solutions, social media platforms, and apps. Mastery of knowledge of online and media communications tools.
● Communication Skills: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to influence using diplomacy with key stakeholders. Demonstrated customer service skills. Proven ability to write and speak using the English language.
● Organization, Planning and Multi-Tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision and accuracy. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
● Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills. Ability to make sound judgements. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness. Sensitive to proprietary information and able to maintain confidentiality on any and all work-related issues.
● Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
Minimally Required Education, Experience, and Training:
● Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism; or, a combination of education and experience that yields the minimally required knowledge, skills and abilities; Master’s degree in a related field, preferred
● 10 years of professional communication and strategic marketing experience with progressive management and leadership; experience in an international humanitarian organization
Nothing in this job description/posting restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com and attach your current resume or CV. Please note the position title on the subject line. Thank you.