Financial Controller (USA)
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 14 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL had an annual budget in excess of €200 million in 2022 and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
The primary function of this role is to support GOAL’s US office on all financial matters, be the Finance lead on US/multi country grants and control the quality of financial submissions, in relation to month end, internal reporting, external reporting, budgeting and other items.
As part of the finance team, you will be providing direct support and guidance to the finance team in several countries where GOAL is running humanitarian or development programmes. You will also be a key player in ensuring compliance with donor regulation.
The location for this position is New York or Washington DC and the salary is $80,000-$85,000 based on experience.
Key duties/ responsibilities
- Manage the month end process for GOAL US in line with deadlines.
- Produce Budgets, adhering to donor rules and regulations in line with relevant deadlines
- Produce Financial reports, adhering to donor rules and regulations in line with relevant deadlines
- Produce Funds requests and cash flows
- Ensure that all funds requests for donors are produced, checked and submitted in line with the relevant deadlines
- Support on the annual US audit and assist donor audits
- Work closely with and provide relevant financial information to other GOAL staff as and when required
- Perform other relevant tasks as might be assigned by manager
- Perform other relevant tasks as might be assigned by US SMT
- Projects and ad hoc tasks as required
Qualifications and Attributes
- A relevant finance qualification
- Experience of working in a busy finance department
- Knowledge of USAID funding
- Has successfully managed a range of different projects and work activities at the same time
- Flexible and willing to adapt, positively contributing to the implementation of change
- Proactively identifies areas for improvement and develops practical suggestions for their implementation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Overseas experience working in a finance or related role
- Experience of working in a finance role in an NGO
- Experience of working with donors including but not limited to FCDO (formerly DFID), USAID, Irish Aid or ECHO
- Experience of working remotely
- Willing to travel to GOAL countries if required
Analysis & Decision Making
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for the delivery of agreed objectives
- Quickly gets up to speed in a complex situation, rapidly absorbing all relevant information/data (written and oral)
- Puts forward solutions to address problems
Delivery of Results
- Assumes personal responsibility for and delivers on agreed objectives/ goals
- Manages and progresses multiple projects and work activities successfully
- Accurately estimates time parameters for projects and manages own time efficiently, anticipating obstacles and making contingencies for overcoming these
- Maintains a strong focus on meeting the needs of assigned tasks at all times
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for new developments/changing work practices and strives to implement these changes effectively
- Practices and promotes a strong focus on delivering high quality support, both internally and externally
- Encourages open and constructive discussions around work issues
- Treats others with diplomacy, tact, courtesy and respect, even in challenging circumstances
- Presents information in a clear and concise manner
- Collaborates and supports colleagues to achieve organisational goals
Commitment to GOAL Values
- Strives to perform at a high level, investing significant energy to achieve agreed objectives
- Ensures that our GOAL countries and country teams are at the heart of all services provided