Humanitarian Assistance Officer (Team Lead)
Agency: U.S. Agency for International Development
Organization: Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance, Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance, Office of Humanitarian Business and Management Operations (BHA/HBMO).
Location of Position: Washington, DC.
Open Period: 09/18/2023 – 10/16/2023
Appointment Type: This is an excepted service, time-limited appointment, not-to-exceed five years
Salary: FSL-02. Foreign Service pay table. Washington locality.
Number of Vacancies:
- (One Vacancy) Humanitarian Assistance Officer (Team Lead/Information and Technology Management Division), FSL-0301-02
Description of Organization: The Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) provides global leadership and a strategic approach in humanitarian response, promoting human welfare, alleviating suffering, and providing the foundations for transformative change and self-reliance serving both national foreign policy interests and people in need of humanitarian assistance. BHA fulfills USAID’s role as the lead U.S. Government Agency for responding to emergencies and disasters overseas with both food and non-food emergency assistance, as well as providing a holistic approach to USAID’s programming across the spectrum of preparing for, responding to, mitigating, and preventing disasters.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: All employees are measured on how they foster a climate of respect in interactions with others, value differing perspectives, and treat others in a fair, equitable, and culturally sensitive manner. All employees are expected to adhere to equal employment opportunity (EEO) policies and value diversity and inclusion in performing everyday duties and responsibilities.
Description of Position: The Humanitarian Assistance Officer will lead the team in identifying, distributing, and balancing workload and tasks among employees to ensure timely accomplishment of assigned team tasks; represent the team consensus and convey the team's findings and recommendations. The incumbent will advise BHA, Agency leadership, and host-country governments on new developments and effective approaches to humanitarian assistance; articulates the benefits of interventions to effectively reach specific target audiences; provide technical liaison with other offices in USAID who work with USG Agencies, Congress, donors, multilateral banks, and PVOs to coordinate their efforts with USAID programs, policies, and approaches to humanitarian assistance; maintain liaison with sources of information inside and outside BHA to assess and review new or unusual circumstances, variations in approach and incomplete or conflicting information; inform stakeholders of changes in organizational programs and operations, conducting briefings on major program changes in particular those impacting humanitarian assistance programs and operations overseas. The incumbent will become certified and serve as an Agreement Officer’s Representative/Contracting Officer’s Representative (AOR/COR), as assigned; and will sign-up for and serves on Washington-based Response Management Teams (RMTs), which provide services and support to Disaster Assistance Response Teams (DARTs) deployed in response to disasters. The incumbent will also work with USAID CIO office to support IT compliance and standardization and surveillance of IT programs, services and projects related to BHA.
Future of Work Designation: This position has been designated as Telework Eligible in accordance with agency policy.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, FSL-03 or GS-13, of this position. Specialized experience must include:
- Providing intellectual leadership and focus to initiate complex dialogue on international humanitarian assistance information technology services and/or IT procurement matters.
- Directing highly complex evaluative studies to assess and improve organization-wide information technology solutions and/or IT procurement processes and/or management systems.
- Identifying, analyzing, and providing IT solutions to problems regarding either staffing, budget, programs, or operations of an international humanitarian assistance organization.
- Serving in a leadership role for IT program, service, and project management.
- Experience designing and monitoring IT support and services.
- Experience developing, documenting, and implementing standardized processes.
- The Team Lead position requires a specific clearance level based on organizational location. Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain the security clearance level associated with the position for which they have been selected.
Interested candidates should submit (in .pdf or Microsoft Word Format):
- Cover letter (one page or less) expressing a statement of interest, including one paragraph (250 words or less) that describes where in the resume the applicant meets the specialized experience qualifications; state whether you have veterans’ preference or if you have held or currently hold a political appointment (PA) within the last five years; (NOTE: current/former PA should submit their appropriate SF-50 which demonstrates their appointment);
- Three professional references with at least one current or former supervisor;
- Stated security clearance level, if applicable;
- Stated U.S. citizenship (if citizenship is not stated, application will not be considered).
Please submit your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line must be as follows specific to the position and office being applied to. Subject lines must read: “FSL Application: Information and Technology Management Division-HAO-FSL-02-BHA.”Application submissions are required by 11:59 p.m. EST on 10/16/2023. Packages not submitted by the deadline with the specified subject line—or incomplete packages—will not receive consideration. This notice may be used to fill additional vacancies, as the workforce needs of the Bureau may change.