Position Summary and Purpose:
The MEAL Officer provides critical guidance and instruction throughout the process of program development by ensuring MEAL activities capture program impact. The MEAL Officer ensures IOCC programs contain the appropriate tools and systems to evaluate the program outcomes during and at the end of the program implementation. Programs will be monitored and evaluated to ensure program goals and objectives are met. Programs will be evaluated to identify learning and best practices from IOCC programs. The MEAL Officer provides guidance for the use of appropriate monitoring systems and program and project evaluations throughout the activity, which may take place in areas of conflict.
The MEAL Officer advises the Director of Strategic Services and Deputy Director of Programs or Director of Programs on evaluation and learning priorities and is the central repository of demonstrative examples of IOCC’s global technical capacities and lessons learned. The officer also administers and maintains the databases of recommendations that have emerged from evaluations and follow-up activity.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
1. Monitoring and Evaluation:
Conduct annual analysis of monitoring and evaluation requirements and priorities based on IOCC’s program portfolio; draft an Annual Evaluation Plan in consultation with staff and stakeholders to identify priorities alongside the results of program risk and analysis portfolio; ensure MEAL systems are fully and consistently integrated into all IOCC programs worldwide, and that they meet the reporting requirements of all key stakeholders; refine and enhance those systems on an ongoing basis; create, maintain and manage a MEAL database that captures important learning and best practices from programs; consistently improve M&E data collection tools and mechanisms.
Provide sound and consistent management and stewardship of resources entrusted to IOCC for programs from donors; ensure the participation of partners and stakeholders from the beginning at the design and inclusion of MEAL strategies in project and program development; information sharing, consultations, joint assessments, participatory programming and invited beneficiary feedback ensure investment for the accountability of MEAL activities.
Design and implement collaborative systems of monitoring and evaluation to determine whether program goals and objectives have been achieved; capture, document, and archive lessons learned and best practices identified from the program results as a guide and reference to benefit current and future IOCC programs as well as provide material experience for use in training and coaching of staff and program implementers.
Co-develop and facilitate the preparation of training materials including tools, instruments methodologies and procedures employed for M&E activities that build organizational capacity; contribute input towards a graduated learning program on MEAL for use by IOCC staff and partners; track progress of individual staff members and implementing partners against the curriculum design and training goals. Author or provide quality control for internally produced publications related to training materials and IOCC promotional materials.
5. Support and Supervision:
Provide day-to-day support to M&E activities and initiate Organizational Learning Systems by providing distance coaching, and focused missions to IOCC programs; guide the data collection process, assess the data collected by IOCC staff and implementing partners to maintain quality control over the collection process so the data reveals outputs, outcomes, and impacts resulting from evaluations; advise on the selection of evaluators for larger projects to be evaluated. Serve as focal point to direct and manage evaluations produced by consultants for larger or strategic projects; ensure the evaluations employ the correct methodology and line of inquiry. Provide MEAL technical support during program design and program development to involve the appropriate MEAL systems for IOCC’s donors and partners. Serve in the rotation of IOCC Duty Officer
6. Relationships and Representation:
Provide collegial leadership and effective management oversight to staff and partners working
together on MEAL activities. Represent IOCC in interagency MEAL meetings, associations, and other
Minimally Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and Skills: Proven knowledge and skills managing M&E systems using database management in the collection and analysis of information. Strong analytical skills and ability to design and implement new systems.
• English Language: Excellent oral and written communications skills with fluency in written and spoken English. Ability to create and deliver a curriculum of M&E learning tools, systems and techniques for training and coaching purposes.
• Collaboration and Interpersonal skills. Team player with sensitivity to culture, gender, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, and age. Collaborative working style with IOCC staff, partner staff and local beneficiaries when designing and conducting M&E activities.
• Training and Coaching: Ability to build staff skills and capacity in M&E activities by organizing a curriculum of M&E learning tools and implementation techniques and strategies. Ability to provide support and learning to staff and partners through coaching and training. Strong motivational skills to enhance teamwork.
• Competency Enhancement: Eager to continue learning new approaches, methods, and skills for strengthening M&E activities. Increasing understanding of research design in fragile contexts and faith-based programming. Strong motivation to contribute to a culture of inquiry and generate evidence-based findings that benefit IOCC programs and meet or surpass donor’s expectations.
• Commitments: Commitment to the mission and vision of IOCC. Commitment to perform quality M&E activities.
Minimally Required Education, Experience, and Training:
- Graduate/Masters’ degree in international development, social sciences or relevant field
- Three to five years of work experience in related environment
- Experience in performance measurement, monitoring and evaluation of international development or humanitarian programs
- Experience in developing M&E systems, data collection and analysis, risk assessment, data tracking and collection tools
- Experience developing M&E procedures with proven improvement at the organizational level
*Nothing in this job description/posting restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply, please send an email to: email@example.com and attach a current resume or CV. Please note the position title of MEAL Officer in the subject line. Thank you.