Part Time Controller / Director of Finance
Reporting to the CEO, the Part-Time Controller/Director of Finance leads day-to-day finance operations of American International Health Alliance (AIHA), a small, Washington DC-based international health and development non-governmental organization. The Part-Time Controller/Director of Finance has functional responsibility for general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and petty cash, organizational financial reporting, and budget management. The Controller oversees AIHA’s financial systems and controls, and ensures timely and accurate reporting and successful audits. The Controller supports the program and field/country operations to prepare and submit timely and accurate donor reporting in compliance with donor requirements and successful donor audits (including Uniform Guidance), collaborates with AIHA’s Director of Administration, and functionally supervises AIHA’s Finance Managers.
Accounting, Compliance, and Internal Controls:
- Oversee and manage operational processes including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Corporate Credit Cards, Payroll, and Petty Cash, while ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place;
- Manage the month-end close process including reconciling accounts, processing monthly allocations, and entering any corrections;
- Prepare appropriate and consistent cost allocations and rate calculations and support field offices with technical accounting support if needed;
- Work closely with AIHA’s Finance Managers on reviewing and approving project-level financial reports, initiating wire transfers and payments, monitoring cash flow, and ensuring the integrity of the accounting system, including system updates/improvements;
- Prepare year-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP and support schedules for the annual audit; assist with managing the audit and compilation of Form 990, to include serving as liaison to outside auditors during audit and coordinating and preparing management responses/comments and ensuring that audit recommendations are incorporated.
Budget and Budget Monitoring:
- Finalize annual operating budget(s) developed by each department/project, and incorporate into consolidated budget for Board approval, making any revisions required during the fiscal year;
- Generate month-end financial statements and support schedules including the development of key financial indicators to compare actual expenses versus Board and Donor approved budgets, monitoring overhead recovery, level of effort, and analyzing monthly financial data.
Cross Cutting and Other:
- Coordinate with HR for the timely and accurate processing of the bi-weekly payroll, payroll taxes, and leave balances and timely distribution of annual W-2 statements;
- Prepare ad hoc financial analyses, Risk Level Assessments for subaward/grant partners, and any donor required financial reports;
- Manage the NICRA negotiation process including preparing all calculations and support documentation and responding to inquiries from the cognizant agency.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience working in finance including at least three years as a Controller or Chief Financial Officer;
- Experience and expertise in accounting (at the Controller level), audit preparation, budgeting, and expense (against budget) monitoring;
- At least 5 years having worked with a non-profit international development agency that has received US Government and other donor funding;
- Preference for having worked on projects that have received USAID, CDC and the Gates Foundation funding;
- Preference for having worked with field offices in the developing world; and
- Proficiency in Bill.com, Gusto, Divvy, QuickBooks, ADP and other accounting/payroll/financial software.
Time Commitment and other Conditions:
- Estimated 6-10 days per month (or approximately 48-60 hours per month);
- Hired on a contractual basis on an hourly billing basis. Payment made monthly after submission of timesheet and work completed;
- Need to be available during core normal work hours but can also work during evenings and weekends. Must be available to respond to time sensitive internal or external queries and or urgent matters;
- Will report to CEO, oversee full time finance manager and interact with other staff; and
- This is a fully remote position.
Finance/Accounting firms and individuals encouraged to apply by February 1, 2023. Candidates can submit a Company Resume or CV along with a Cover Letter to email@example.com. Please indicate “Part-Time Controller Application” in the Subject of the Email.
Applications will be considered immediately and until the vacancy is filled. Only shortlisted applications will be contacted for follow up.