Program Associate, Practice
Job Title: Program Associate, Humanitarian Practice
Team: Humanitarian Policy and Practice
Reports to: Program Manage, Humanitarian Practice
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-time
Founded in 1984, InterAction is the largest U.S.-based alliance of international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and partners. We mobilize our Members to think and act collectively to serve the world’s poor and vulnerable, with a shared belief that we can make the world a more peaceful, just and prosperous place – together. Using our collective voice and convening power, we seek to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change.
Our Members are premier international global development, humanitarian, and sector-supporting organizations that work in almost every country and manage more than $15.4 billion in programs annually. InterAction’s revenues come from dues, government, private foundation and corporate grants, and fee-for-service programs. Additional information can be found at www.interaction.org.
“The Program Associate for Humanitarian Practice supports InterAction’s Country Response Working Groups and the HPP-Practice team through communications with members, facilitating and/or taking notes for working group meeting, supporting country response collective advocacy initiatives, as well as supporting Practice staff, working group co-chairs and members develop policy and programmatic briefing documents, conduct research and data analysis, and produce other relevant outputs and outcomes that contribute to InterAction country working group and other HPP-Practice country response operational priorities.
This position resides within InterAction’s Humanitarian Practice Team within the Humanitarian Policy and Practice Department, reports to the Program Manager for Humanitarian Practice, and collaborates with InterAction staff across the Humanitarian; Global Development, Policy and Learning; Membership and Communications; and Finance; as well as with InterAction country working group members.”
· Bachelor’s degree in related field
· Experience working as part of a team, and facilitating cross team collaboration
· Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software
· Strong commitment to InterAction mission and values
· Experience in and/or Knowledge of international issues (preferably Middle East & Africa), particularly those related to the field of humanitarian response in armed conflict and natural disaster.
· Experience and interest in advocacy and communications strategy development and implementation.
· Experience in and/or Knowledge of Grant Management related to humanitarian programming.
· Under the direction of the Program Manager for Practice, facilitate the work of select InterAction Humanitarian Working Groups and lead on specific work streams and activities, including facilitation of working groups meetings and member check-ins as relevant.
· Under the direction of the Program Manager for Practice, liaise with external counterparts in the US government, UN agencies and other NGO consortia, and to facilitate inter-agency liaison, coordination, and collaboration.
· Under the direction of the Program Manager for Practice, organize events, such as workshops, roundtable discussions, and other events and meetings in close collaboration with other HPP staff and members domestically and internationally.
· Ensure effective support to regular and ad-hoc country/regional working groups: organize annual work planning cycles and regular meetings; prepare materials such as policy and programmatic briefing documents, situation updates and formal correspondence in support of working group activities; craft agendas; maintain participant lists, and track and disseminate action points.
· Proactively identify opportunities for Humanitarian Working group learning and engagement on humanitarian priorities.
· Ensure the timely and efficient flow of information in support of InterAction members and working groups.
· Ensure timely support to InterAction NGO member staff, including responding to member inquiries regarding InterAction’s working groups, key issues and contexts of concern.
· Maintain up-to-date HPP email lists for relevant thematic issues and countries. Write, edit, vet, and disseminate email communications for the lists from the HPPC email accounts.
· Be an active member of InterAction’s HPP team and promote collaboration with other InterAction teams.
· Provide logistical and research support for humanitarian practice team field missions.
· Assist and support members of HPP Team, including the Vice President, on an as-needed basis.
· Provide guidance and mentorship on InterAction systems and procedures to new HPP staff; including the engagement trackers and other monitoring and evaluation tools.
· Provide grant proposal and report writing support, as requested, with order, clarity, style, and consistent terminology.
· Complete administrative tasks related to liaising with the finance and administrative team.
· Engage with Intern’s program members to ensure coordination across teams related to intern programming and be actively involved in InterAction-wide intern career development programming and resources.
· Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
· Ability to proactively and independently follow through on tasks and responsibilities in detail-oriented manner with limited supervision
· Superior interpersonal and relationship-building skills
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to interact with others in a professional manner and with colleagues of varied work styles
· Excellent planning, organizational and administrative skills
· Ability to prioritize, multi-task and manage time effectively, even under pressure and tight deadlines
· Ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders around consensus-driven, common agenda/platforms
· Interest in deepening knowledge and experience in humanitarian policy and practice
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This is a full-time position based in Washington DC. Hybrid work schedule.
· Physical demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employees must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
· Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
45,000-80,000 per year. Additionally, InterAction offers and excellent benefits package.
· Complete annual performance appraisal identifying annual performance objectives
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States for an extended period.
Applicants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. InterAction will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
InterAction does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of InterAction and InterAction will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.