Regional Development Director, Contra Costa County
ABOUT 10,000 DEGREES
California's leading college success nonprofit, 10,000 Degrees® helps students from low-income backgrounds get to and through college. Thanks to comprehensive personal support, college advising, and financial aid management, over 80% of 10,000 Degrees four-year college students earn bachelor's degrees, compared to 31% of their peers nationally. For those who start at community college, our students transfer to and graduate from four-year colleges at a rate that's three times the national average.
The focus of the Regional Development Director, Contra Costa is to grow 10,000 Degrees' resource base in Contra Costa from diversified funding sources including foundations, corporations, individuals and government to support the 10,000 Degrees college access and success programs, as well as scholarships for Contra Costa students. In collaboration with and in support of 10,000 Degrees Development, External Affairs, Scholarship and Program teams, as well as the Contra Costa Advisory Board, the Regional Director is a integral position of the Development team and will help develop and support local and organization-wide initiatives in Contra Costa, with a particular focus on fundraising initiatives.
This position will allow flexibility to work from home or from San Rafael headquarters. Attending in person team and organizational meetings at 10,000 Degrees offices is required.
- Proactively identify and cultivate community, institutional and individual relationships to advance regional and organization-wide fund development opportunities and meet fundraising goals;
- Manage a regional portfolio of donors and prospective donors through all aspects of moves management and fundraising best practices, including meeting prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications and building regional donor capacity;
- Manage a regional portfolio of institutional funders, with a focus on corporations, through all aspects of moves management and support the Director of Institutional Advancement in developing and writing grant proposals for regional funding opportunities;
- Recruit new advisory board members to grow the Contra Costa Regional Advisory Board with a goal of increasing regional visibility, network building, field influencing and resource generation capacities of the board;
- Proactively support the Contra Costa Advisory Board, ensuring regular touch-points and engagement with each Advisory Board member;
- In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer and the Contra Costa Advisory Board, develop a regional fundraising plan and targets in order to meet current and future programmatic and scholarship goals;
- Represent 10,000 Degrees at regional advocacy, community, development and other events;
- In partnership with the Director of Communications and Marketing, develop a local marketing and communications plan to increase visibility and support Contra Costa development efforts;
- Identify and cultivate new scholarship resources for Contra Costa students;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to inform and align regional strategies and opportunities with broader organizational goals and related initiatives.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, passionate leader who is committed to supporting equitable educational opportunities for all students. A goal-oriented focus is essential, with in-depth knowledge of the East Bay fundraising, corporate, and community landscape. They will also have the skills necessary to cultivate and engage top donors and strategic partners in a way that is aligned with 10,000 Degrees overall mission, values, and goals. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and impeccable judgment are required. In addition, the ability to work cohesively and collaboratively with other team members will be critical.
Specific qualifications include:
- BA/BS required
- 5+ years of fundraising experience required
- Demonstrated ability in relationship building and management across a diverse set of funders
- Excellent internal and external communication and collaboration skills
- Proven ability to cultivate and raise major gifts
- Outstanding listener
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Active community connector
- An unrelenting commitment to social justice
- Excellent presentation skills, including oral and written communication
- Ability to think strategically with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Self-starter who can multitask in a fluid work environment