Senior Manager Democracy, Rights and Governance
Senior Manager – Democracy, Rights, and Governance
Founded in 1984, InterAction is the largest U.S.-based alliance of international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and partners. We mobilize our Members to think and act collectively to serve the world’s poor and vulnerable, with a shared belief that we can make the world a more peaceful, just and prosperous place – together. Using our collective voice and convening power, we seek to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change.
Our Members are premier international global development, humanitarian, and sector-supporting organizations that work in almost every country and manage more than $15.4 billion in programs annually. InterAction’s revenues come from dues, government, private foundation and corporate grants, and fee-for-service programs. Additional information can be found at www.interaction.org.
The Democracy, Rights and Governance (DRG) Initiative is a unique group within InterAction’s broader workstreams. The Initiative is composed of leading international democracy assistance organizations who have come together in coalition to advocate for shared goals. The member organizations are: Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), Freedom House, International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL), International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), International Republican Institute (IRI), Internews, National Democratic Institute (NDI), and Solidarity Center. The Initiative strives to build support within the U.S. Government for funding and policies which promote democracy as an integral priority within U.S. foreign assistance and global development investments.
We are hiring a senior manager to coordinate the advocacy efforts of the DRG Initiative and facilitate the inclusion of the democracy and human rights issues within InterAction’s broader advocacy work. This role regularly collaborates with Initiative members and with InterAction’s internal policy team. This role is about working with a coalition, developing positions with the group, and coordinating and executing activities for the Initiative. The senior manager sits within InterAction’s Global Development Policy and Learning (GDPL) division and represents the interests of the Initiative within InterAction and to broader membership. The person in this role represents the DRG Initiative to Members of Congress and their staff, as well as to key Administration officials on a range of issues, including budget and appropriations, procurement, maintaining bipartisan support for U.S. democracy assistance, and other issues of focus for the Initiative.
This is a full-time position based in Washington DC. Due to COVID-19, InterAction has and continues to develop new and flexible workplace policies. InterAction maintains a hybrid work environment and employees currently work remotely and flexibly from home on some days and in-person in the office on others. Employees can work remotely from anywhere outside the DMV area for up to four weeks per year. There is an expectation that employees are based in the Washington DC region.
- Jointly with Initiative members, represent the DRG Initiative to Members of Congress and their staff, and to key Administration officials on a range of issues, including budget and appropriations, procurement, and protecting civil society space.
- Facilitate and build consensus among Initiative members on advocacy strategy and tactics to advance the Initiative’s goals, including writing and editing policy documents, organizing, and/or conducting briefings for Initiative members, and drafting and coordinating sign-on letters.
- Lead Initiative engagement with Congress and the Administration by organizing and overseeing outreach, and building relationships with Members of Congress, Administration officials, and their staff members.
- Serve as an information resource and connector for Initiative members through regular meetings and communication, particularly on budget and appropriations processes and significant policy efforts affecting the DRG sector as a whole.
- Coordinate with technical and legal staff of Initiative members and other InterAction members and staff to advance joint approaches on thematic priorities, such as procurement reform, data policies, and partner vetting.
- Track and analyze legislation, other Congressional activities, and administration budget justifications, and administration policy developments related to DRG and communicate the analysis to Initiative members.
- Establish and maintain relationships with InterAction’s members’ staff, InterAction’s Public Policy Committee and other InterAction working groups to include and elevate DRG within broader development discussions; and
- Additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Senior Manager should have at least 7 years of relevant work experience demonstrating the skills below.
- Experience with coalition building and maintenance, including demonstrable experience in the following.
- Organizing and leading effective meetings.
- Synthesizing and navigating multiple points of view.
- Building and maintaining networks.
- Developing objectives and goals for a group.
- Uniting a diverse group of members around common goals.
- Proactively identifying and seizing opportunities.
- Experience with federal and Congressional advocacy and an ability to use different advocacy tools and levers to achieve outcomes for a group.
- Familiarity with democracy and governance issues and policy in USG foreign assistance. Understanding of the associated federal appropriations process strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience with project management, including developing workplans; managing budgets; designing systems to manage multiple concurrent efforts; and effectively managing data, communication, and work products across multiple platforms.
- Ability to work constructively on a bipartisan basis.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage relationships with InterAction members, partners and other external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to effectively communicate on technical or complex topics to non-experts as well as to experts;
- Highly motivated team player
- Demonstrated commitment to InterAction’s core values and mission
This position does not supervise employees.
Compensation and Benefits:
Annual salary of $90,000 to $105,000. InterAction additionally offers an excellent benefits package, including generous contributions to health and dental insurance and paid leave programs.
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports To: Senior Director, Public Policy and Government Affairs
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States for an extended period.
Applicants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. InterAction will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
InterAction does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of InterAction and InterAction will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
To apply: LINK
Please use the apply button to submit a cover letter and resume.
Position will remain open until filled, but applications received before September 15, 2023, are preferred.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for this position.
Due to the volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted. Please - no phone calls.