Senior Strategic Communications Specialist- Ukraine
EnCompass LLC is seeking a Senior Strategic Communications Specialist to contribute to the Ukraine Monitoring, Learning, and Support (UMLS) Contract. The UMLS Contract (implementing period of 2020-2025) supports the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in Ukraine in its Country Development Cooperation Strategy implementation. As part of the contract, UMLS is providing support to the development outreach and communications (DOC) component of USAID/Ukraine operations, including strategic advice and analytical support of DOC activities, capacity building, and communications materials production and dissemination.
In collaboration with the Strategic Communications Specialist, the Senior Strategic Communications Specialist will be responsible for coordination of UMLS activities related to development outreach and communications.
We are looking for a resourceful and creative person, with an eye for design and who can take initiative and lead the support of the development outreach and communications team. This person will have excellent public relations skills, a great communicator, and have familiarity with international development context in Ukraine.
The position can be based in Ukraine or can be remote from another country within a similar time zone. If person is based in Ukraine, they must be legally authorized to work in Ukraine without sponsorship. The position is full time with an expected duration of one year with possibility of extension.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the support the DOC Team and Mission technical staff to develop strategic messages about USAID/Ukraine programs for key audiences and decision makers.
- Build and maintain a constructive relationship with the Client (DOC team), being proactive in identifying their needs and offering creative solutions to challenges.
- Guide and advise on the USAID Mission presence and campaigning on social media as well as monitor social media pages’ performance and assessing outreach.
- Guide the review and updating of the USAID/Ukraine Mission’s social media and communication strategies.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of analytical surveys and assessments related to DOC related areas.
- Design, coordinate, and deliver capacity-building sessions on communications-related topics for the relevant Mission staff and implementing partners.
- Support the use of innovative tools and approaches to the production and dissemination of USAID/Ukraine’s communications products.
- Promote the application of findings from relevant analytical surveys and reports into the DOC- related processes and products.
- Review and assess USAID/Ukraine communication products, such as newsletters, fact sheets, reports, and social media posts and provide recommendations based on international and regional best practices for strategic and digital communication.
- Coordinate the work of local vendors or short-term consultants as required for achieving results (graphic designers, copyeditors, photographers, videographers, etc.).
- Contribute to related initiatives as assigned, including working as a full member of the Ukraine UMLSC team.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in communications, journalism, professional writing, public relations, or a related field.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience, out of which at least 7 years of experience should be in communications, public relations, mass media with governmental bodies, international development organizations, or relevant NGOs
- Excellent professional English domain (written and oral) is required, Ukrainian highly preferable
- Previous experience working in Ukraine required
- Familiarity with the development context in Ukraine
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies, plans, and activities
- Ability to understand and translate complex information into key messages for clients, partners, and other target audiences
- Great attention to detail, organized and excellent communicator
- Previous experience as a mentor or training a plus
- Flexibility and adaptability, able to work under difficult context
- Proficiency with management of organizational/programmatic Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram accounts and analytics tools
- Knowledge of modern innovative communications tools and approaches is highly desirable.
How to Apply
Please, submit your CV with a cover letter and complete the application
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
If you require accommodations in line with the Americans with Disabilities Act to complete your application, please call 301-287-8700, provide your contact information and a description of your accessibility issue. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case-basis, and we will call you back within approximately 3 business days.
EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision