Sr. Director, Communications Operations
The successful candidate will be a senior and experienced communications operations leader who will be responsible for developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization. Leading a team of talented, multi-disciplinary communications professionals, the senior director will oversee development and execution of communications for JSI and its affiliates. The individual must have the ability to lead teams in an inclusive and collaborative manner, and provide clear strategic direction on how to elevate and strengthen JSI’s brand as the most influential public health organization in the world. This person should have strong change management experience, be able to dismantle silos, and create a fully integrated communications infrastructure across JSI, working closely with domestic and international offices. In addition, the position requires strong people-leadership experience and emotional intelligence to foster a culture of trust, inclusiveness, motivation, and peak performance. This role reports to the chief of staff, who oversees the communications function, and will partner closely with the executive communications director, who supports the CEO’s daily communication needs.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating and developing integrated communications strategies combining public relations, marketing, event management, graphic design, and digital and issue management/crisis communications:
- Developing multi-channel strategic communications plans leveraging paid, earned, shared, and owned media to advance JSI’s reputation, promote its culture and innovation, and elevate key executives as industry thought leaders.
- Directing team in developing and executing timely editorial planning and storytelling.
- Overseeing external conference and event planning and execution.
- Directing, leading, and mentoring teams in delivering strategic communications plans and campaigns. Continuously adjusting priorities and redeploying talent as business needs evolve.
- Ensuring error-free, accurate, approved communications that are consistent with JSI’s core values.
- Managing agency support.
- Leading effort to have a fully integrated communications infrastructure across JSI to elevate and strengthen the organization and its affiliate brands worldwide.
- Overseeing communications for domestic and international programs, ensuring the JSI brand is consistent and representing one organization, and providing best-in-class resources to divisions and centers.
- Leading, coaching, and mentoring in a dynamic and inclusive manner, fostering trust, motivation, and peak performance.
- BA in journalism, communications, or a related field preferred.
- 15+ years in a senior communications management role, either in-house or executive consulting.
- 5+ years building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists.
- 5+ years planning, writing, editing, and producing materials such as newsletters, press releases, annual reports, presentations, speeches, conferences, and videos.
- Experience working with nonprofit and/or mission-based organizations with a global reach, or in global or public health.
- Strategic and analytical thinking, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to execute near-term details with precision while advancing a broader, forward-looking strategy.
- Strong performance accountability and ability to follow through on commitments, maintain confidentiality, and meet deadlines in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent leadership, time management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Proven commitment to coaching and mentoring, creating a learning environment, and fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and inclusion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill key industry trends, recommend strategic actions, and share ideas and information across diverse audiences.
- Willingness to travel approximately 20% or as needed.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online.
Please apply via our Careers Portal:https://careers.jsi.com/JSIInternet/Careers/jobdescription.cfm?id=146582&intern=0