Chief Human Resources Officer
The CHRO will have responsibility for repositioning the human resources (HR) function, and building a global HR team that is aligned with best practices and initiatives, monitoring their impact, and ensuring JSI stays abreast with state-of-the-art HR trends and technologies. The CHRO will be responsible for providing strategic advice and guidance across the full scope of the HR function, domestically and internationally, and ensure that global teams receive the support they need to operate effectively. The CHRO will, therefore, develop and execute the long-term umbrella HR strategy and partner with senior leadership to ensure the infrastructure is in place for the global vision to be fully realized.
As a trusted thought partner, the CHRO will advise the CEO in areas of leadership, coaching, managing employee relations, employee engagement, total compensation strategy, organizational design and change management, talent acquisition and management, performance management, and learning and development. The CHRO will lead, assess, mentor, and support all HR team members to ensure that daily HR operations are effortlessly handled in a timely and appropriate way. Moreover, the CHRO will lead a new culture of individual and team achievement, ensuring every employee’s objectives represent and reflect JSI’s strategic plans and are monitored through performance management goals.
Of critical importance, the CHRO will spearhead JSI’s commitment to be a leading-edge diverse, anti- racist, equitable, and inclusive organization and will be responsible for developing, embedding, and ensuring plans are achieved that foster an innovative vision of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging (EDIB). The CHRO will operate at the programmatic and administrative levels, working to eliminate systemic organizational marginalization and promote inclusion and anti-racist practices.
The ideal candidate will be known as a collaborative, supportive, courageous, empathetic, innovative, and visionary leader with outstanding people and strategic management skills. They will be a forward-thinking practitioner who has a passion for this work and who will build and inspire a professional and dedicated human resource function and team.
The ideal candidate will be located in a country in which JSI is registered.
JSI seeks a results-oriented individual with the ability to produce high-quality deliverables, manage multiple concurrent tasks, meet tight deadlines, and pay close attention to detail. The successful candidate is required to have:
Leadership Skills & Attributes
- At least 10-15 years of progressive human resources leadership experience, with at least 3 years of experience leading a global HR function supporting an executive team
- Experience in providing strategic leadership to an HR team and translating organizational strategy into measurable operational delivery
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions and scaling and/or right-sizing based on a fluid, fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization. Ability to work as a strategic and tactical leader
- Demonstrated experience in developing consistent and standardized HRM systems across multiple geographies
- Experience in the international not-for-profit sector is required
- Experience in the US-based HR space, including management of staff spread across multiple states is required
- Experience managing people and teams of various sizes in dispersed locations across the globe, preferably in Africa and Asia
- Demonstrated experience in change management; optimizing a human resource team structure that enables JSI to achieve its goals and position itself for further success in a rapidly changing international development landscape; experience in socializing and communicating all changes to ensure understanding and engagement
- Evidence of creating a climate for transformational change and successfully developing a new cultural and best practices perspective, engaging all employees, encouraging open dialogue, and fostering new ideas. Experience providing guidance to an executive team on how to build consensus around a shared vision of goals and strategies to advance the mission
- Demonstrated leadership in the creation of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (EDIB) programs that reflect the ideals and philosophy of a globally progressive organization, ensuring it is embedded in our core values and business processes, and demonstrated every day in the programs, procedures, policies, interactions, and work JSI conducts
- General business and financial acumen with the ability to develop and utilize HR data and metrics as they relate to and impact business topics including finance, legal, information technology, payroll, and administration
- Candidates should be a results-driven, agile change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization
- Demonstration of strong cultural awareness
- Empathetic and engaging individual leader who cultivates strong relationships, listens well, is responsive, solutions-focused and results-oriented, while fostering psychological safety in the workplace
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal, and interpersonal, with cultural competency to communicate with and authentically engage audiences globally
- Passionate about the mission of JSI, enthused by the challenges confronting the organization, and dedicated to achieving its goals
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Master's degree in HR management, business management, public administration, social science, international development, or a similar field that shows direct correlation to the field of HR is preferred
- HR certifications (such as SPHR, GPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) are requiredPlease apply via our Careers Portal: