Director of Strategic Relationships – Regional
The Director of Strategic Relationships is responsible to achieve annual major donor contribution goals by developing strategies and conducting activities to qualify, cultivate and solicit gifts, following an individual plan of care (IPOC) strategy from a portfolio of 150 - 200 partners within a geographical region in the U.S. Assigned partners include individual donors as well as organizational and institutional donors.
Essential Job Functions
Strategic Relationship Management and Donor Solicitation
- Create and implement short, intermediate and long-term major gift donor strategies.
- Actively manage relationships with an assigned portfolio of 100 to 150 high net and mid-level worth individual prospects with capacity to give $5,000 to $10,000 per year or more, strengthening relationships with current and potential donors and elevating them to increasingly higher levels of giving and engagement.
- Research donors and prospects and prepare solicitation plans and proposals based on short, intermediate, and long-term funding goals of the organization.
- Take a leading role in soliciting and closing major gifts from assigned donors, including soliciting existing donors to increased funding levels, and activating new major donors by soliciting them for a first major gift.
- Integrate planned giving into major individual donor requests, as appropriate.
Cultivation and Stewardship
- Help plan and implement funding campaigns, events and activities (volunteer experiences, tours, receptions, Giving Clubs, etc.) for individual major gift donors. Create and manage cultivation/appreciation events for individual major gift donors as appropriate.
- Communicate regularly with assigned major donors. Develop major gift materials, including briefing memos, proposals, stewardship materials, thank you notes, letters, written updates, etc.
- Network with existing and prospective donors to meet new potential donors and convert those relationships into tangible financial support.
- Implement donor appreciation programs to recognize, thank and educate current donors.
- Research, recommend, and implement strategies to raise the positive profile of the ministry among civic, business, and church leaders in strategic local communities.
- Facilitate major donor participation in events and activities.
- Manage the VP of Development’s caseload as it relates to your region, supporting the VP of Development in donor cultivation including setting up meetings and providing donor briefings
Monitoring and Reporting
- Track and report weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual fundraising activities to achieve major gift revenue goals. Note: Will use a balanced scorecard for details on donor growth and revenue goals as it relates to overall development plan.
- Track and report relationship management activities using constituent relationship management systems including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospective and current individual major donors.
- Effectively use database technology and other resources to assess giving potential, and to track donor communications, including appropriate recognition and thanking of major donors.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Perform public speaking assignments as requested and required
- Provide on-site event assistance donor events
- Prepare donor briefings when requested
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Occasionally required to attend appropriate work-related meetings outside of normal business or working hours.
- Assist with other work-related tasks as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Personal annual fundraising goals are met or exceeded
- Major donor and foundation revenue is increased
- Legacy gifts are managed and cultivated through partnership with Money for Ministries
- Accurate and timely record keeping are recorded in CRM software
- Goals and objectives set forth in Set & Review Card are met
- American Leprosy Missions’ Team Values are lived out
- Initiative – Without prompting, takes proactive steps to manage and improve all work tasks and operations. Is innovative, responsible, and insightful.
- Accountability – Experiences a sense of responsibility to the organization, its donors and other stakeholders, and the community when making decisions that affect the organization; not forced by policy to do what is right and fair, but has an internal sense of responsibility.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and writes effectively and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens to management, co-workers, donors, end recipients, vendors, and others to effectively and efficiently share information and ideas; demonstrates effective group presentation and meeting skills.
- Relationship Building – Has the ability to connect and influence a large and diverse group of people; is seen as a bridge-builder and someone who is “good to work with;” can build and maintain meaningful professional relationships.
- Results-Oriented Thinking and Behavior – A genuine concern for effectiveness; possesses the desire to get the job done with excellence; mentally, is focused on getting the best results for actions taken; does not settle for mediocrity.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, public relations, communications, or a related field or at least three years of experience in business, philanthropy, development, or fundraising
- At least three years’ demonstrated successful experience in major gift fundraising or other related position(s), such as sales.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse donor base
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering healthy relationships with donors/customers
- Self-motivated; able to work independently.
- Strong knowledge of prospect research, donor screening, and major donor models, such as Wealth Engine
- Ability and willingness to share the Christian faith through word and deed
- Agreement with and willingness to sign the organization’s statement of faith
- Note: This position requires a minimum of 40% travel
Preferred Education, Experience, Skills
- Demonstrated success in raising five-figure donations through personal solicitation
- Demonstrated success in cultivating long-term relationships
- Experience in the development department of a faith-based organization, NGO, college, or university
- Experience with recordkeeping and donor databases, especially Salesforce
NOTE: Position may work remotely.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.