Street Business School is an award-winning social enterprise rapidly expanding to bring our entrepreneurial training to every corner of the world. We are looking forward to elevating our financial acumen by contracting an experienced, analytical team player to provide advice and counsel as a fractional CFO. This role presents an opportunity to propel our growth toward its next level of impact. We are seeking someone who is passionate about our mission, has experience in the global social enterprise/NGO sector, thinks strategically, creatively, and tactically about financial initiatives, and is energized by collaborating to maximize our impact.
Is this you or someone you know? Keep reading or visit our website to learn more about SBS!
About Street Business School
Street Business School (SBS) helps women living in poverty to gain knowledge and confidence, start small businesses, double their incomes and lift their families out of poverty. We have engaged in this work since 2008 by delivering an award-winning entrepreneurship training curriculum directly to women. In 2016, we started scaling through a social franchise model where we train other NGOs to deliver the SBS program in their local communities, allowing them to amplify their own impact.
SBS currently has more than 400 certified Lead Coaches from 165+ partner NGOs working in 26 countries. We focus on impact and creating measurable change:
- SBS graduates have gone from living on $1.35 a day on average, to $4.19 a day two years later
- 89% of SBS graduates have at least one business two years after they graduate
SBS is a non-profit social franchise with more than 35 global team members. SBS has been recognized as the Best Non-Profit, named by 14 Nobel Peace Laureates, has been awarded the System Innovator Award from Segal Family Foundation, has been selected as a Fellow at The Miller Center, was a finalist for the Kirby Prize, and has been featured in Entrepreneur Magazine, Barron’s, the New York Times and others.
To experience our work, check out this Virtual Site Visit.
Why you’ll feel good about working for Street Business School:
- You’ll be challenged, you’ll be inspired, and you’ll be proud to see your spark igniting change around the world
- We create transformational impact. By supporting the global expansion of our Street Business School, your work will directly contribute to that impact.
- You’ll be surrounded and inspired by other employees with passion, commitment, and drive. We love to support beneficiaries, partners and team members to reach their full potential
- We support people to solve their own problems creating dignity, ownership and self-sufficiency; increasing income not only reduces poverty, but it also spurs investment in children, creates greater self-esteem, increases bargaining power, and reduces domestic violence.
What you’ll do:
Strategic Analysis & Financial Modeling
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team to develop financial mapping for our growth strategy.
- Help establish key metrics and the mechanism to track them, in order to guide growth strategy.
- With Business Director, generate periodic analyses on metrics, unit costs, and other key data points to guide program implementation and forecast growth.
- Lead in the development of integrated/sophisticated financial models and tools to explore SBS opportunities in partnerships and operations.
- Work with the Business Team to explore/establish forecasting and budgeting innovation.
- Analyze KPI trends, offer strategic insights and recommendations to organizational operations.
- Work with Business Director to develop allocations, direct and indirect to reflect percentages in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Audit current financial reporting processes and procedures and recommend innovations.
- Audit existing financial recordkeeping systems, including grant/fund accounting and recommend improvements
- If the organization pursues government grants, develop systems, protocols and reporting templates to ensure high quality compliance. Share expertise of contract negotiations and project-based budgeting.
- Guide in the ongoing development of documentation particularly as it supports transitions towards sophisticated donors and/or government funding.
- Collaborate with SBS Philanthropy Team to offer innovation surrounding donor presentations and reporting.
- Review staffing and long-term growth needs for the business team with consideration for organizational growth, including succession planning.
What you’ll need to succeed in this role:
- 8-10 years of experience leading the financial strategies for a global nonprofit – experience with international development is required.
- Experience in grant accounting (including strong knowledge of current GAAP pronouncements for revenue recognition, determination of conditional/unconditional & restricted/unrestricted funding). Demonstrable experience in subgrant accounting implementation and evaluation.
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to clearly articulate financial strategy.
- Strategic thinking with a big-picture mentality.
- Accounting skills and background, including experience in the operations of a nonprofit.
- Passion for the mission of the organization and an understanding of the nonprofit sector.
- Flexibility and the ability to think outside the box.
- A positive attitude, a desire to learn, and a sense of humor.
SBS believes our team is better and stronger with a diversity of perspectives and experiences. We welcome applications from candidates historically underrepresented in the nonprofit sector, especially within the international development sector. If you do not meet all stated qualifications but feel you can succeed within this role, please consider applying for this position, particularly if you are a candidate with an identity that is marginalized within the United States. SBS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
This is a part-time contract position expected to last 3-6 months, estimated at 10 hours/week with a salary range of $40-$50/hour, based on experience. This position is fully remote; the ability for occasional travel to our Boulder office may be needed.
We encourage applications from diverse candidates of all sorts. Please shoot us an email letting us know how working for us would be a dream come true for you to email@example.com with “Financial Strategist” in the subject line. While we love, love, love initiative on the job, no phone calls please. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview!