GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist
Type: Full-time, Exempt
Department: Innovation Lab
Reports to: Bob Morikawa
Years Experience Range: 5-15 years
Salary Range: $60,000-85,000 USD. Final offer will be adjusted based on market rate criteria of years experience, qualifications, and work location.
Benefits: We offer a full “better than industry standard” benefits package. Details are listed at the end.
- U.S.Travel: If located outside of San Diego, at least 1 visit per year to San Diego will be required (for an annual staff gathering).
- International Travel: Occasional to frequent (1-4 trips per year) domestic or international travel to project sites is possible, but not required. International travel may at times be in difficult and physically arduous conditions.
Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 35 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose THRIVE 25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and with nearly 900,000 people globally; and project growing past our current goal of $22 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
Global capacity building is one of our top five key initiatives in our THRIVE 25 strategic plan. As we work with our local teams to grow our programs, it is vital we continue to ensure our program activities are having the desired impact. Every three years our team conducts an in-depth impact study applying evaluation best practices. Our research methodology includes: Participatory workshops, Regional surveys and Remote sensing. The GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist would contribute to achieving our THRIVE 25 strategy goals by playing a key role in developing studies and methods to improve our understanding of smallholder farmers and watershed health. They would work with the Innovation Lab team to develop and manage data analysis for GIS/Remote sensing data that help both the programs and fundraising efforts.
Are you interested in being part of a global team that uses mapping & remote sensing that contributes toward combating climate change and alleviating poverty across the world? Do you love using your expertise in GIS to develop studies to understand vegetation change, watershed health, carbon/biomass accumulation among other environmental factors? Then this role might be for you.
In addition to the mapping and remote sensing responsibilities, the GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist will also have the opportunity to be a part of a team that is continually exploring methodologies that can help inform landscape change among smallholder farmers. Help us build a network of contacts in industry, universities and government that can strengthen our knowledge and reputation as the premier Christian organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
You will report to the Senior Director of the Innovation Lab.. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Mapping/Remote Sensing (50%)
- Develop studies/methods to increase understanding of vegetation change at the farm and watershed level
- Develop studies/methods to increase understanding of watershed health
- Develop studies/methods to track tree planting/tree growing
- Develop studies/methods to measure carbon/biomass accumulation
- Develop methods to assist fundraising efforts
- Support mapping of watersheds including hydrologic delineation and adaptation to local conditions
- Maintain an organized GIS file archive/portal for the department and organization including country partners
- Data management/Analysis (25%)
- Work with the Innovation Lab team to develop and manage data analysis and data management systems for GIS/remote sensing data that will help both programs and fundraising efforts
- Research (25%)
- Explore the vast array of data and methodologies that can help inform landscape change among smallholder farmers
- Identify key data or methods that should be developed by Innovation Lab
- Publication of original research where appropriate
- Help build a network of contacts in industry, universities, government, that can strengthen our knowledge & reputation especially on the subject of understanding the context of smallholder farmers
The above duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelors GIS, Remote Sensing, or in related field;
- 5 years experience in related field
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship
- You have experience in mapping and remote sensing data products & platforms such as ArcGIS and Google Earth Engine
- You have a deep commitment to the professional quality of your work
- You are able to create quick, early versions of innovations, with the expectation that later success will require early failures
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment both remotely & in person
- You have the ability to initiate, self start, work independently, and seek out solutions
- You have strong project management skills, including time management, organizational skills, ability to set realistic deadlines, delegation, and effectively communicating with other team members.
- You enjoy working from home and collaborating in a virtual environment. While this is a remote position, there will be in-person options for anyone located near our San Diego offices
- You must be skilled in using technology, including video conferencing systems that support meetings, coaching, and trainings.
- We are a technology driven, Mac-based organization. Technology platforms we use are: MacOS, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Google Workspace, and Zoom.
- You have experience living or working in a developing country or cross-cultural setting
- You have fluency/proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Amharic, Spanish, Haitian Creole, French, Kirundi, Swahili, Thai
- Experience using our organizational technology platforms, which are: Hive, Jostle, Quantum Workplace, BambooHR, Divvy, Bloomerang
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of inclusion and belonging in our local, national, and global families. We are committed to expanding diversity, cultural and lived experience, and expertise on our team. We want people who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and lived experiences to the work we do. Diversity helps make our system-improvement efforts more informed and effective.
Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist will require you to be a communicator, a learner, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You have a deep connection with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me"
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful as a team member when each person on the team succeeds. As a team member, you pay attention to diversity of thinking and psychological safety, and believe you play an active role in team cohesion.
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback. You demonstrate humility as a leader by admitting mistakes, knowing when to step back, and creating spaces for others to speak up and contribute.
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand by asking clarifying questions
- As a team member, you pay attention to diversity of thinking and psychological safety, and believe you play an active role in building cohesion on any team of which you are a part.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances (base plan is 100% covered by Plant With Purpose)
- Group life insurance
- 401k match, up to 8% after a 6-month waiting period
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- $75/month home office stipend
- Education reimbursement plan
- Wellness app membership; seasonal team wellness challenges
START DATE: Jan 2, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 16, 2022
All interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
If this sounds like you, please apply on our website here. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees.
If you have any questions regarding this position, or need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.