Program Associate, Protection
Program Associate, Protection
Founded in 1984, InterAction is the largest U.S.-based alliance of international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and partners. We mobilize our Members to think and act collectively to serve the world’s poor and vulnerable, with a shared belief that we can make the world a more peaceful, just, and prosperous place – together. Using our collective voice and convening power, we seek to shape important policy decisions and actions across a wide range of issues – including foreign assistance, humanitarian relief, development, economic equity, food security, and climate change.
Our Members are premier international global development, humanitarian, and sector-supporting organizations that work in almost every country and manage more than $15.4 billion in programs annually. InterAction’s revenues come from dues, government, private foundation and corporate grants, and fee-for-service programs. Additional information can be found at www.interaction.org.
Since 2012, has been at the forefront of shaping and promoting the use of results-based approaches to protection. The current iteration of InterAction’s Results-Based Protection (RBP) project includes three main components: (1) field support for collective strategies arising from the Action-Based Research initiative on Conflict-Induced Food Insecurity and Protection in Niger, Colombia, and Somalia, (2) piloting a results-based evaluation framework for the prevention of gender-based violence (GBV), and 3) supporting humanitarian leadership and systems to adopt outcome-oriented ways of working in support of protection outcomes.
InterAction is seeking a Program Associate to provide logistical and administrative support to the RBP team for the aforementioned project components. Specifically, the Program Associate will support the organization of workshops, meetings, field visits, and other events. The Program Associate will also provide technical input whenever feasible, including documentation of examples of Result-Based Protection and the publication of the Results-Based Protection Digest. Additionally, the Program Associate will contribute to monitoring the project budget expenditures in support of program implementation and deliverables as well as grant reporting. The specific work of the Program Associate will also be based upon the individual’s learning and professional goals, as tied to the initiatives of InterAction’s Protection Team within the larger Humanitarian Team.
Full-time (Grant Funded)
This full-time position is based in the Washington D.C.. InterAction maintains a hybrid work environment; employees currently work remotely and flexibly from home on some days and in the office on others. Employees are expected to work in the office at least one day a week. Employees can work remotely from anywhere outside the DC/Maryland/Virginia (DMV) area for up to four weeks per year. There is an expectation that employees reside in the DMV area.
1. Provide effective administrative and logistical support to the Results-Based Protection Project;
2. Regularly monitor project budget expenditures and support the development of budget projections.
3. Work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor and Senior Program Managers to provide logistical support for research on conflict-indiced hunger and protection in Niger, Colombia, and Somalia.
4. Provide logistical travel support (domestic and international) for Protection Team members as well as attendees invited by InterAction to participate in events. This includes supporting staff in obtaining visas; liaising with the Finance team to ensure appropriate insurance coverage related to travel; booking flights/hotels; identifying venues and catering options; producing itineraries; drafting logistics notes, and other support as needed.
5. Work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor to support activities related to the dissemination and field testing of InterAction’s GBV Prevention Evaluation Framework (GBV PEF).This includes administering meeting logistics, notetaking, and providing administrative support to the community of practice (GBV PEF CoP) and the web-based platform
6. Help document the key elements of Results-Based Protection in practice by undertaking research and writing up case examples as needed;
7. Assist with grant submissions and reporting as required;
8. Support the production of communications materials, including drafting and editing thematic newsletter updates, and briefs, etc. This includesproofreading, formatting materials, and coordinating with printers/other external services as required;
9. Support monitoring of program implementation and deliverables by creating and circulating surveys; analyzing survey results; and updating various work plans regularly;
10. Maintain the Results-Based Protection website, including tracking user analytics; and selecting and regularly posting reports, updates, events, and other documents;
11. Manage/supervise interns;
12. Support the hiring and recruitment of consultants, interns, and other staff as needed; conduct consultant bid analyses; and supervise interns as needed.
13. In coordination with other InterAction staff, represent InterAction and its membership with external stakeholders, fora, and in inter-agency coordination mechanisms;
14. Proactively identify opportunities for Protection Team learning and engagement on humanitarian priorities;
15. Other responsibilities as assigned include:
a. Assist and support all members of the Humanitarian Team as appropriate.
b. Provide guidance and mentorship on InterAction systems and procedures to new Humanitarian Team staff;
c. As part of an organization-wide effort, contribute to the development of InterAction’s new five-year strategy and other cross-agency initiatives as needed;
d. Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field and up to 1 year of professional experience/internship in a related field;
• Strong organizing, coordination, and project management skills;
• Experience working as part of a team, and facilitating cross-team collaboration
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software (including Excel), Airtable, Salesforce, Survey Monkey, Prezi, and Miro, and experience creating graphs, charts, and other visuals;
• Ability to proactively and independently follow through on tasks and responsibilities in a detail-oriented manner and with limited supervision;
• Ability to interact with others in a professional manner, and adapt to with colleagues with varied work styles;
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage time effectively,
• Flexibility to meet changing deadlines and priorities
• Superior interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Excellent planning, organizational, and logistical skills
• Interest in protection-related work, including GBV, and in deepening their knowledge of humanitarian action;
• Strong commitment to InterAction mission and values;
• Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Arabic is highly desirable.
This position supervises Interns
Include range USD 47,000 to USD 50,000. InterAction additionally offers an excellent benefits package.
Expected Start Date
Senior Technical Advisor, Protection
Up to 5% travel, primarily international
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States for an extended period.
Applicants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. InterAction will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability, or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
InterAction does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of InterAction, and InterAction will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Please upload a cover letter that addresses your specific career success to date with the requirements of this position description and a chronologically organized resume in addition, please include a writing sample of no more than 5 pages. The writing sample can cover anything related to humanitarian action. Please submit to: