Title: Program Officer
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Syracuse, New York
Salary: $55,068 - $68,250 DOE
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking candidates for Program Officer to be based in its Headquarters office. For over 100 years, the Near East Foundation (NEF) has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East, Caucasus, and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. In Sudan and South Sudan, our mission is to improve food security, increase self-sufficiency, and enhance health and well-being through community-led initiatives in water, sanitation, hygiene, and agricultural production. By working closely with local communities, governments, and partner organizations, we strive to create sustainable and impactful change.
NEF is seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented Program Officer to support our country teams in Sudan and South Sudan in project management, contract management, and donor reporting. The successful candidate must possess excellent communication and coordination abilities. Reporting to the Program Manager, you will play an essential role in ensuring project effectiveness, compliance with donor requirements, and the achievement of program objectives.
Project Management Support:
- Collaborate with country teams to draft comprehensive project milestones with clear timelines to support planning and follow up.
- Convene regular meetings with country project managers to monitor progress, identify challenges, and coordinate support from HQ teams.
- Support country teams in regular expenditure reviews to ensure adherence to budgets.
- Work closely with the compliance team to support country teams’ adherence to organizational policies, procedures, and regulations, including compliance with finance, procurement, and human resources guidelines.
Reporting and Communications:
- Coordinate with country teams to gather necessary data and information for reporting purposes.
- Support the preparation and submission of high-quality donor reports, including progress reports, financial reports, and other documentation as per donor guidelines and deadlines.
- Contribute to the development of communication materials, such as success stories, case studies, and reports, highlighting the impact of our programs and initiatives.
- Contribute to the preparation and review of project proposals and grant applications.
- Assist in the administration of project contracts, ensuring accurate and up-to-date contract documentation.
- Support the management of contracts with consultants, suppliers, and implementing partners, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and donor requirements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project documentation, including contracts, reports, meeting minutes, and other relevant materials.
- Review and analyse contracts to ensure adherence to support compliance with terms.
- Work with internal to address any contract-related issues or concerns.
- Participate in visits to project sites to monitor progress, provide support, and identify areas for improvement.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building support to country teams in project management and reporting through mentoring, and knowledge sharing activities.
- Assist in the preparation and facilitation of meetings, workshops, and trainings with stakeholders, partners, and beneficiaries.
We encourage all individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to succeed within this position and thrive at NEF to apply for this role, even if you do not meet 100% of the qualifications.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field (such as international development, project management, or a related discipline); Master’s Degree is an advantage.
- 3 years of experience in project management, contract management, and/or donor reporting, preferably in the international development and humanitarian sector.
- Sound understanding of project management principles and practices.
- Familiarity with contract administration and compliance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently, with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability and willingness to travel to program locations.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to live and work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
NEF will accept a rolling application until the position is filled. Review of application will begin on February 19, 2024. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please apply by submitting the following documents in the English language:
- Cover letter outlining all relevant experience, how you meet the essential criteria.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer). You will be given further notice prior to us contacting references.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org
The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.
Any Employment with the Near East Foundation will be subject to the following checks prior to start date:
- A satisfactory Restricted Party Screening.
- Receipt of satisfactory references.
- Workplace Verification Check.
NEF offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes: 20 vacation days plus 12 Company Holidays; flexible sick-time policy, generous medical, dental and, vision coverage; HRA and FSA benefits; employer paid short and long-term disability; employer paid life insurance; TIAA-CREF retirement plan with 8% employer contribution, paid family leave, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and more!
NEF's strength is its people. Our team is our fuel to achieving the innovation, quality programming, community focus, mutual trust, sustainability, and learning needed to realize our mission. To help our team thrive, we support a working structure that prioritizes flexibility, personal commitments, and staff well-being while promoting a work culture of teamwork, collaboration, respect, integrity, and excellence.
As an international organization, we value a truly diverse workforce and prioritize a culture of inclusivity and belonging. We strive to create a high-achieving work environment informed by different cultures, perspectives, and experiences. With a commitment to diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion in all we do, our aim is to ensure that people feel heard, protected, and empowered to contribute to NEF's mission from day one.