Strategic Tobacco Industry Campaigns Associate, TakeAPart Initiative
The Associate Director of TakeAPart – the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids’ initiative to break the links between policymakers and the tobacco industry, oversees efforts to isolate and weaken tobacco companies and their allies fundamentally. The Associate Director achieves this goal by leading the development and implementation of strategic campaigns to challenge the tobacco industry's political influence and hold tobacco companies fully accountable for the death and disease caused by tobacco. Reporting to the Vice President of International Communications, the Associate Director manages projects across the interdepartmental TakeAPart team, including members of the country and regional teams and the Campaign’s research, communications, legal, and grants departments
This position is based in Washington, DC, and is open to U.S. citizens and other applicants who already possess U.S. work authorization. The Campaign operates under a hybrid (partial remote and partial in-person/in-office) work environment. Proof of full vaccination (including booster shots) against Covid-19 is required.
WHAT YOU'LL ACCOMPLISH
- Serve as thought leader and strategic planner for the Campaign’s counter-industry work. With a broad and diverse portfolio, this position is responsible for the following key areas:
- Leading strategic planning and working closely with regional and country teams to ensure that a counter-industry plan is in place to support policy goals in priority countries.
- Developing and maintaining the strategic vision for the Campaign’s tobacco industry campaign work in close partnership with country teams, other units and external partners as necessary.
- Developing annual strategic plan, in support of and in parallel with the annual tobacco control strategic plan and country/region strategic plans.
- Serving as key point of contact and manager of relationships for external organizations and coalitions working to counter the tobacco industry including STOP, Bloomberg Initiative partners, and others. Forming meaningful partnerships with a wide array of organizations including those working on corruption, fiscal issues, governance, and more.
- Creating and managing the work plan of a multi-disciplinary team including designing and executing campaign strategy and tactics, research plans, partnerships, and media tactics.
- Convening and chairing TakeAPart team meetings and other meetings as necessary.
- Occasionally serving in a consulting role to programs of the Global Health Advocacy Incubator in developing and implementing strategies to understand and take action in regard to industry sectors such as food and beverage.
- Developing and implementing multiple campaigns per year to support relevant deliverables under Bloomberg Philanthropies grant.
- Increasing the capacity of grantees and partners in priority countries to develop and implement campaigns to undermine the tobacco industry’s political power, and responding efficiently to requests from partners in priority countries for technical assistance.
- Overseeing the production of campaign materials and social media tools to support and advance the TakeAPart portfolio.
- Managing the TakeAPart budget in conjunction with finance staff. Overseeing contracts and timely payment with vendors.
SKILLS YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in developing, implementing, and overseeing campaigns related to a corporate sector.
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities to weaken corporations and their tactics to impede policy change.
- Track record of developing and implementing campaigns from start to finish, and the ability to bring together key stakeholders and coalition partners to execute a successful campaign.
- International experience in campaigns, advocacy, and public policy efforts.
- Expertise in providing technical assistance and building the capacity of advocates with a wide range of competencies.
- Flexibility to address urgent developments in a rapidly changing environment and the patience to stay committed to the work over the long haul.
- Strong communications skills, both written and spoken.
- Proven capability to collaborate with teams and manage multiple projects effectively; ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment while juggling multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Experience managing staff and budget to produce results.
- Foreign language proficiency is preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally (approximately 25%).
WHY JOIN THE CAMPAIGN FOR TOBACCO-FREE KIDS?
- You will be a part of a respected global health advocacy organization that works to create meaningful change through policy changes and save lives in our neighborhoods and in communities worldwide.
- You’ll receive a generous benefits package including:
- 100% company-paid health and dental for you; 70-80% contribution to these coverages for your dependents.
- Paid parental leave benefits (4 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave), in addition to federal and local leave provisions.
- 403b plan participation (with 9% company contribution)
- 10 paid company holidays, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 5 personal days (on an accrual basis each calendar year)
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding of social and cultural issues can help make The Campaign's work more inclusive. We encourage qualified applicants of all ages, racial, economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, ability and gender expressions, national origins and veteran statuses to apply.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and its Global Health Advocacy Incubator program represent our collective efforts to strengthen public policies which reduce tobacco use and its deadly toll in the United States and around the world, as well as other public health threats contributing to death and disease. Our organization has a singular focus: to make the world a safer, healthier place for everyone. Candidates are encouraged to review our website at https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/